Jump to navigation Jump to search
Here are some frequently asked questions and problems that you might come across while trying to install Clementine.
- 1 Questions
- 2 Technical Issues & Known Fixes
I'm new and have no idea where to start!
- Check out our getting started guide, and hop on to our Discord if you have any questions!
Where can I find people in-game?
- A player finder function is available in-game, which shows the three most populated lobbies. Open the main menu (F1 or Start if you're using an XBox controller), choose the first option (Player Information), and then the first option again (Status). Lobby info is towards the bottom of that window, and you can scroll down to see additional information.
- If you're looking for participants to run a particular mission, there's a Looking For Group channel on the Clementine Discord.
What's different between Clementine and retail PSU?
- You can find more information on the differences between Clementine and the retail PSU releases here.
Where are the custom resolution options?
- Click the tools icon near the top of the launcher to access extra custom game options like custom resolutions, increased enemy render distance, disabling startup logos, and disabling the opening video. Please note that while you can potentially push the resolution as high as you want, the UI will not scale with resolutions higher than 720p. It is generally not recommended to set the custom resolution higher than either 1080p or 1440p because of this. The default game options must also be set to 1280 x 720 before setting a custom resolution or the image will be stretched.
Why can't I access story mode?
- Clementine is based on the Ambition of the Illuminus downloadable game client that was offered for free on the Japanese PSU website which did not include the offline (Episode 2) story mode component. Clementine also currently does not include any of the Story missions (Episode 2 & Episode 3) that were available online. In order to play the Episode 1 story you will need the retail base version of the game on either the PC, PS2, or Xbox 360. In order to play Episode 2 you will need the retail release version of Ambition of the Illuminus expansion on either PC or PS2. The Xbox 360 version of AotI was released as a "DLC" download only, is no longer available for purchase, and does not include Episode 2 offline. The retail PC releases may also have issues running due to the discontinuation of GameGuard support. In order to get around this you will need to find GameGuard removal patches. Japanese offline clients for both AotI and Vanilla with English patches can be found here.
- Due to the nature of Episode 3 having been exclusively entirely online only on the official retail servers and clementine not currently having these story missions, at the time of this writing it is not currently able to be played through and considered "lost media". The only way to currently experience Episode 3 is by watching old low quality youtube video uploads of it.
Technical Issues & Known Fixes
Error messages in Japanese when logging in
- These usually relate to saving sign-in details. You will have enabled this in the launcher's options menu. There are two messages that may be displayed:
Available options are はい・いいえ
- This menu is asking if you want to save your login info, because you've ticked the option in the launcher. Choose the top option (はい); the bottom option will just keep looping between two questions on the same subject. If you don't want to save your login data then close the game, open the options menu from the Launcher, and uncheck the box marked "Save ID and Password" before relaunching.
Available options are リトライ・いいえ
- This menu is indicating there has been a problem saving login data. Neither option seems to do anything. Please try the following:
- Run the game as administrator (you should have to be doing this anyway) and see if the issue resolves itself
- If not, close the game, go into the launcher's options menu, and uncheck the box marked "Save ID and Password".
Error No. 45
- Running the game as Administrator should resolve this issue - the game should always be run as Administrator.
PSU closing instantly
- Any sort of Anti-Virus could be forcefully closing the application. Please add the Clementine install folder to the exceptions list on your antivirus; if full folders are not able to be excluded then ensure
online.exeare excluded individually.
- There is a recent issue with newer PCs and Laptops that ship with both an APU and a dedicated GPU, in some cases you will need to disable the APU in your systems BIOS in order for PSU to recognize the proper display adapter and run.
- PSU does not like the computer's focus being shifted, so it will crash upon leaving the window. Running the game in windowed mode is a quick fix to this problem. Installation of Borderless Gaming will allow you to run the game full-screen and also alt-tab away without causing it to crash.
Custom resolution not working
- This is an issue with the current launcher only hooking into the first instance PSU is run after a PC restart. You can either use the launcher included with Gnome Glasses or restart your PC to fix this.
- Default Config 2 in the controller settings replicates the Xbox 360 controller layout.
The Launcher will not connect
- If the launcher is refusing to connect to the server, running PSUC directly from the installation folder as administrator should let you through.
- If the launcher is displaying a red banner with the text "A Networking error has occurred", you may still be able to launch the game - give it a try, as on occasion the launcher displays a false positive for networking issues. The only times the game server is unavailable are during periods of unexpected downtime, and planned maintenance, the latter of which is announced on the announcements channel in the Clementine Discord.