Sign in to follow this  
Marmalade

A discussion on GAS

GAS Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a workable and acceptable solution to GAS?

• Yep!
    • Maybe. Some things could change!
    • Nope.

Hi, lately I've been doing research into the Guardians Advanced Style system to see how viable and workable it is for the future, because I wanted to get a solid answer on it before we started changing things in weird ways. I've made some decent progress on the GAS counter, but I think I can safely say that it will take me a fairly long time to get it working correctly. I lack all back-end details about the system and its network protocol, so it's been difficult and time consuming.

While I can enter and display some details with the GAS menu, ultimately the client will not play, and it's impossible to buy upgrades right now, as well as all of the menu text is missing. I'd also gotten the Stamp shop working (with bugs), because I was hoping to be able to hijack it as some form of GAS menu, but unfortunately that's unlikely to happen either. So we're left with little choice right now.

TL;DR: Can't do the old GAS system, and the Stamp shop stinks.

We've thought about a couple of ideas that might be viable, but I would like to run this one by everyone for feedback and any other ideas you may have to contribute to this.

Achieving GAS by extended Type Level:

One of the ideas that we think we can work with is to base GAS around class Types.
Expert and Master classes would have their level cap raised above 20, to potentially 50, with a massively increased MP requirement for levels past 20. Your Type levels will not be able go above level 20 until a specific character level has been reached. As you continue to level your Types past 20, you would be able to unlock upgrades via a shop or trade-in counter, or passively.
Currently we haven't decided how yet, since I'm still trying to discover what is and isn't possible on the "Obtaining upgrades" side of things.

Most of these upgrades should include what is listed here: http://psupedia.info/GAS.html
(This list is subject to change in the future, and may not include everything that is eventually possible)

Currently I don't know what currency is viable for these upgrades. Having the user gain AEXP and AP isn't a problem, however displaying it in places where it's needed is potentially an issue right now. Upgrades may need to be purchased with Meseta, or the shop/counter may display "Meseta", but the currency would be AP. It would be confusing.

If you think that this is a viable option, or if there's something you think might be changed, please feel free to give us some constructive feedback.
I'd also appreciate if you could keep it civil, and please don't hesitate to ask if you have a question. Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 18

All i can say is yes, a million times yes. This is tremendously great news and a great idea. This will make end game have a purpose now and more enjoyable. Thank you for your hard work. Can't wait to see this come to fruition!

• Thumbs Up 1

Everything here looks super good. Main thing that should be discussed when and if this gets working is if we were to use AEXP or Meseta to purchase these things, within Mods/admins and also maybe just a flat out poll for everyone to vote for.

• Thumbs Up 2

Would we have to spend AP (or whatever substitute currency) in order to unlock the new class caps, or would that be an innate thing once we reach the required character level?

Also this sounds dope 👌

Anyway you can work this, be it the increased Type cap with incredible curve on the MP needed, or it being an incredible amount of meseta needed.
If you can get this working it'd be incredible and a huge step towards this server becoming a truly wonderful thing
Fantastic work marm and team!

• Thumbs Up 2

That actually sounds pretty wicked. I'd be for this. Though a lot of what you mentioned would create some insane power creep. Unless you still have the plan for S4+. 

Edited by KanameChidori

This all looks really promising! I never got to try GAS on official but these alternatives you listed sounds like a real good way of making the gameplay better. I do agree with the above though, It might be a little too soon to implement. Regardless, great work Marm!

Hey Marm! Interesting topic and i have some input that I've heard from other players in recent weeks. 

Ive heard from multiple people that in the main game people were able to upgrade their class to wield weapons/ PA that they could not regularly equip on their class. Such as Masterforce able to equip S rank swords or a travel PA. 

However one person has now just said to me that it wasnt in PSU but was in other games. I along with others do think this would be a nice addition to GAS if it were balanced correctly. Such as possibly upgrading A weapons to be able to equip S weapons taking a fair amount of points through this system.

Hope my input is interesting and thanks Marm !!

No it wasn't in PSU, that's class breaking honestly. PSP2&PSP2i had that system cos only basic classes were available. Upgrading ranks maybe, but weapon types would be bad (C Rank for Travel PA on certain classes would be understandable tho). As for if we were to use AEXP or Meseta to purchase these things, discussions or poll would be best. Also, adding hit boxes would break certain skills and make them op, limit break is great but there would need to be tight restrictions on PAs, less used/weaker PAs could be made viable this way tho & make better variety for game play.

Edited by bando_boyッ

Yes upgrading weapon ranks sound wonderful to me honestly and was hyped by it when I heard about it a few weeks ago. But adding weapons to a class was also apart of that discussion and was told by a party of 6 that it was a thing. 

Im a believer of Masterforces getting their fabled travel PA.

Well hear me out. What if its *made* possible then.

It is my suggestion to what players have told me. I didnt play the official only the demo

Edited by Ronald Mcdonald

This is actually a great alternative as it would make use of MP which becomes useless faster than EXP (unless a person levels multiple advance and/or master classes). While seeing "EXP FULL" makes me think of how it can be potentially going to something else, perhaps that could somehow be useful as well in this system?

Of course I'm not certain of the technicalities of implementing such a system, but somehow converting those defeated enemies to a contribution towards the class advancement would be amazing. In any case, I'm excited to see how this all works and I had four capped characters on official with GAS. 

I really want to try out some of the GAS stuff as I couldn't really play the JP servers reliably after the U.S. ones closed.  The degree of customization was really interesting to me.  One of the things I really wanted to try was to go for a Twin-Daggers focused AF with the innate Incapacitation bonus as well as the A-Rank weapon power boost.  Or maybe a FM with the same deal with Double Sabers...minus the A-Rank thing of course.

Honestly I like a lot of that idea. However, I'd like to make a feedback about it for trying to suggesting the staff, at least imo.

In first place, when talking about upgrading a Photon art, when talking about refer to upgrade a certain PA (For example Vivi Dezza rather than the other whip PAs)… I’m not saying that I dislike this idea. However, with the great unbalance which has the Striking PAs, it will be completely predictable to choose those ones for upgrading it. I’m saying it because with the current meta, Renzan, Skadd, the drill style of the claw PA, and Vivi Dezza Will be mainly the choices of people who want to improve even more the Tas of people. Of course, I dunno if reaching the Pas to lvl 50 will be viable for basically every class, or you’ll make like the oficcial Gas when expert classes had the ability to increase in 10 the cap of the PAs/techs. However, it could be interesting, for example, in my opinion, GTs and WTs were able to deal nicely the damage of guns/melee & techs, and not just to be FGs & FFs with support, even if those builds were the best in the JP versión. In other words, it’s fine to custom the PAs / techs with many options, but it should make it carefully, even I’d like to seeing hybrids being true hybrids, and nothing of more melee than guns or techs or more guns than techs.

In second place, about increasing the power of the weapons, imo, that thing must be done carefully. Master classes are already powerful to having things like it. Yes, Ik about custom power at max level. However, it could be interesting, in the case that the user cannot upgrade the rank viability of an existing weapon which is A for being S, giving a perk which gives a noticable bonus to many As which don’t have the PA modifier and/or increasing the atp/tp of As for people who want to use As. It makes sense to return the official things which were added in GAs, but again, it must be done carefully in terms of adding another things different like the official perks in GAs.

In third place, I agree about Line Shields. Sometimes it’s a true pain to find a good armor with all slots. I’m not telling that there are few people with it because it’s false. Just those things are absolutely necessary for making resistance better.

And finally, about the visual styles? Yes, of course… why not?

This looks pretty good to me - the main concern I have is that it may turn the game into an MP farming fest (more so than now), and it does affect people who like to level a lot of classes more than people who stick with a handful.

In all honesty I'd just be grateful to have something so this solution is something I can get behind. 

Only criticism is that I'd like to be able to upgrade tech level caps - LV50 bullets on PT or LV30 skills on AT for instance. If we're already tying progression to a specific class, then altering the parameters/limitations of that class for yourself would be desirable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope to see the ability to increase pa level cap on a per class basis, not just increase pa damage modifiers etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

Works for me, gives a reason to keep going etc... specially with being able to boost your character beyond it's default limits.

I think most people here, even myself as a purist, don't mind changing the implementation of features to get them in the game. GAS was never about the mission itself. It was just end game content to customize your character. So long as it's still functionally similar in time investment and outcome, it seems great, so long as it's similarly limited in scope

I think it's important, at least at first and until the server is stable, to maintain as much parity as possible with the old system in terms of it's limitations.

• Thumbs Up 1

The GAS system to me was a way of making your character more powerful. If there are other ways to achieve that, then don't worry about bringing the original system back.

Also some of those ideas are new, which is nice. Can only play with the same systems for so long before it gets boring, no matter how much you love a game. Eventually you get burned out.

So, uh here's my post. I'm trying to make it as short as possible. Hate myself making long post.

1. Class lvl 50 and + basic ability increase will be seemingly broken on basic atp area. I don't know how much base status a class can get if this is implemented, but making that base atp status too high will make suvs and nanos become very powerful. Also, if the mp increase is very massive it makes players with limited time (remind that most psu players now are workers and college students) forced to play one single class. This, for me, who loves to play three gunner classes is a hassle.

Suggestion: why not make it to 30 instead? Consider avoid having too much base atp and also time needed to grind the types.

2. SE lvl bonus gives me creeps. Lvl 5 is already fearsome in its own way when using se boost weapon. Also, I don't want to imagine how broken lvl 5 incap, lvl 5 poison, and lvl 6 burn are if this is implemented.

3. Like some posts above. Why not consider putting increased pa lvls there? For technics and striking pas yes it's just about modifier, but for bullets is another story. It's not just modifiers, it is also elemental bonus from it. Some weapons have HUGE elemental gap between 40 and 41. By all means, please consider this as your plan.

4. Allowing ability to give one more extra slot is still a bit unclear. Some combination I think could be highly imbalanced, for instance, like, double hp regeneration (lumira hp restore + talisman), +20 pp regen per tick (photon flood + hize pp generate), or super sta extra unit like mantra + gerard/endurance. Which makes se resist unit is not important anymore. Consider putting this as well.

There are also two more points I'd like to state, but it's not worth mentioning it since it's very speculative. Even my point above is also speculative XD

Edited by Exmover