We're currently having a problem with our launcher. Please launch the game via the PSUC client in the game folder. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Sign in to follow this  
Aelphasy

RNG does not have to be the ultimate rule for everything

Posted (edited)

Not directly related to recent update (22/08), but as events happen, I share an idea I had for a long time.

In a game like this, the RNG must be the rule for the loot. But for the rest, is it really necessary? it's more frustrating for the player, and it makes a lot of people run away. I propose something stronger and more pleasant for the following mechanics, explaining how and why (will be updated time to time, if I have an idea about something)

About rare missions :

Suggestion : have the opportunity to buy them, with a special currency (provided for this purpose, I think its possible to make another one, since there is the custom Weapon Repair)

How : At the end of a mission, at least S and above, and as a reward of a rank S (just like PA fragments) we could win one Clementine Coin (dont have other idea...)

The price for C & B rare would be 5, 10 for A&S and 20 for S2 (as exemple, and I give these prices according the current loot we can have in) Ofc, everyone must pay.

Why

- We know exactly what we have to do to make a rare mission. It takes time, but we have an horizon, we can have a goal to do a rare mission or two a week rather easily, playing a little every day for casual player.

- there is a social dimension a little more interesting than selling the rare that we have once every 100 runs : as soon as you have enough money, you have to look for people who can afford to pay too. If you play with your bae, it can be the conclusion of a long run session, as a kind of reward that we are sure to have.

About rare map :

Suggestion : At least one day a week, all missions on a planet are automatically rare missions, with rotations. Exemple : first sunday of the month, all Parum missions = rare map for 24h. Seconde sunday, all Moatoob mission, etc.

Why

Same idea as before, less frustrating (+ it ends that awful mechanics of 6 players split for hunting one...)

- it allows for more diversity, at least once a week

- its like weekly event, which is always good for many things 

About grinding (weapon affinity) :

Suggestion (maybe hard to do, I don't know) Basically : the more you use a weapon, more you master it (waa). At level 10, the weapon is unbreakable.

How : Many ways are possible. My thoughts : it works by level of enemy killed. 

Exemple for a rod :

1->2 : need to kill 500 ennemies. 

2->3 : have to kill 750 ennemies (+750, not +250)

3->4, +1000...

9->10 total of 100k (maybe its too high, dunno, but you have to deserve it) = the weapon is now unbreakable (you can fail at 9/10 100 times, but it will stay at 9/10)

(we can also imagine small boost each level, why not +2% damage boost on PA when you reach level 5 with that weapon, +5% PA xp when you reach level 6 with that weapon also)

There are gamedesign choices that were "good" (let say decent...) 15 years ago, not now.

Do not hesisate to share your feels about it

Thank you !

Edited by Aelphasy
  • Thumbs Up 6

Yea I have to say the idea for acquiring the rare mission is awesome, and if the Clem staff could implement something like this it would be amazing. Also I feel like it could advert things like what happened since this last maint. 

But the map rotations idk if I can get on board with that.

• Thumbs Up 2

The second idea needs to be reworked. It is surely possible to avoid the RNG there too, for the rare map. The goal was also to have more diversity by having sort of rotating weekly (mini)event, but that another topic.

21 minutes ago, Midori Hoshi said:

I like your first idea for rare missions. I also want to say that generally speaking, I think less RNG is better.

Yes, everytime its possible (when a good idea comes up) I think we should always think to reduce the rng as much as possible (intelligently, always keeping in mind that we have to farm and invest to see the desired power)

Also, I add an idea about grind (weapons affinities)

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

First one is interesting.

But I have to decline the 'new currency' you spoke about. Change it to GC

Reason, this game is merely duplicating what JP OG had. Adding new currency could pose a trouble unless Clem's team really knows ins and outs of the program. Furthermore. GC is currently unused. It should be easier to be tinkered.

If this one is truly implemented, let RnG stay as well, but make the chance like that in previous 22nd August patch. That way, this game would not just be rewarding for hardcores.

Second part is rather obsolete. Make it like 'increase rare map chance' and it should be fine 🙂

Edited by Exmover
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Exmover said:

First one is interesting.

But I have to decline the 'new currency' you spoke about. Change it to GC

Reason, this game is merely duplicating what JP OG had. Adding new currency could pose a trouble unless Clem's team really knows ins and outs of the program. Furthermore. GC is currently unused. It should be easier to be tinkered.

If this one is truly implemented, let RnG stay as well, but make the chance like that in previous 22nd August patch. That way, this game would not just be rewarding for hardcores.

Second part is rather obsolete. Make it like 'increase rare map chance' and it should be fine 🙂

You right for currency, just forgot about GC.

Also, the Rng will stay ofc but it wont be the only way to do all that.

The last thing this game needs IMO is more linear progression. Burnout is already a super huge issue with the game, and, as much as it sucks to say it, the addictive nature of random mechanics is necessary psychologically for user retention. If there were any progression added which bypasses RNG, I'd rather it be designed specifically to encourage retention such as daily log on bonuses and the like. That being said, I'm always going to be for just getting vanilla ol' PSU working before we spend all day arguing about changes that half of the community is going to hate. Serious changes should pass a poll that everybody can easily vote on, not just the forum users. Forum users are always only going to be one demographic and not represent desires of the community as a whole OR what's best for the community.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a system that would fail more often than just listening to what people think here, not that everybody's opinion isn't valid.

As far as the rare mission thing: You want EQs. That's what you're describing. The first day of the month would be awful for ... pretty much anybody with a monthly work schedule and your RNG would cease to be in game and more about when you have time to play. They'd have to be sporadic and random to still be fair.

You're trying to give out rares waaaaay too often with your system. I say leave it as is. I dont even get to play every day, let alone for several hours every day and i have no problem with the system as is. 
The problem with your logic is that the no lifers/unemployed will still get to run 1000 missions a day and will be swimming in rare missions; ipso facto giving them a ton of rare items too. Market would suck then. 

Youre far too generous with your clem coin idea. 

I believe the only good way to increase how often a rare mission is given is to give an increased chance on a random mission each day (same mission for whole server) and you can only run it 5 times per day or some thing with the increased chance for a rare mission, and once you get the rare mission, you cant run with bonus for 5 days or a full week. No one should be getting a rare mission more than once a week. 

EQs on PSO2 are terrible. People sit around all day waiting for them, or they only log in when one is announced. The social aspect of PSO2 is pure trash and no one does any thing but EQs. That is the worst possible thing for people who dont have 16 hours a day to game. 

Posted (edited)

@FB ice

Like said above EQs is the worth thing than can happen here. And the addictive nature of random mechanics has to be found in the loot system.

@Nhisso

With the current system, no lifers / unemployed are already advantaged: simply because they are no lifers / unemployed lol someone who spends his life on the game will always have an advantage.

Moreover, those system is better for everyone, the occasional player may be certain to run rare missions and compensate for his "delay".

edit : and the 20gc are an exemple. We can go for 30gc, it must be reasonable (no life or not, it's not everyone who will spam 25 or 30 missions per day) + do you know what's the drop rate on those missions ? 😉

Edited by Aelphasy
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry, but if I see a game like PSO2 when the only reason is the EQ, then I'll quit.

Perhaps that people who want the EQ system is basically the people who play near exclusively that game. Otherwise, it's impossible to get a stable rythm in PSO2, and I'm talking about at least four years of experience in it.

At the beginning, EQs were designed to get an additional boost of XP and meseta, which wasn't bad since the rares were in the general maps. However, especially since EP3, EQs had got a huge importance ingame until the only reason to do in PSO2 was the EQs. And why? Because the best rares are in EQs. And why? Because, if some rumors of EP5-EP6 are true, the best affixes are in EQs, although that thing is not absolutely sure since perhaps I'm wrong and perhaps certain bosses outside of EQs are farmed for affixing purposes... who knows. And why? Because if you want more trash for cubes, EQs are the best options.

Obviously, there are too many reasons to consider EQs the most and the only important content in PSO2 since the other content are very situational, even because the weekly missions which gives apparently more meseta than TACOs, the 2nd most and the 2nd only important (and bored) content for farming meseta until the end of EP5.

SEGA has made many mistakes which can be compared with both games, PSU and PSO2. However, I'm not here about comparing both games. I'm talking about why EQs are the worst thing for many reasons which can be explained by near all players who play PSO2.

Greetings.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd rather have a system where I can use coins to buy a specific rare than a rare mission, myself. You know, to find that one bastard item that is just eluding you like a jerk but all of your friends seem to find no problem. 😠 Besides there are so many rares in this, trading for the odd rare probably wouldn't hurt, especially if you make them expensive...

Or you could just make them Photon Drops and cause everyone to die a little inside when they get one!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2019 at 4:20 PM, Miyoko said:

I'd rather have a system where I can use coins to buy a specific rare than a rare mission, myself. You know, to find that one bastard item that is just eluding you like a jerk but all of your friends seem to find no problem. 😠 Besides there are so many rares in this, trading for the odd rare probably wouldn't hurt, especially if you make them expensive...

Or you could just make them Photon Drops and cause everyone to die a little inside when they get one!

Aside from account bound items, which are by no means the only items you can get at high rank, That's how the official server worked. The problem is more just that the economy can't really stabilize until wipes stop. Once they do, people are going to have extra rares and they're going to sell them, and money will eventually be worth something.