Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Optional Enemy Scaling

RiggedGaming

Let me preface this by saying that I think the numbers the enemy scales by are balanced just fine for the extra experience they give.

That's about all I can say positively about it's balance though. Once you've hit the level cap - whatever it may be set at - it's nothing more than a millstone around your neck if you want to play with large parties of people. You end up having to slog through nearly triple enemy health (or whatever other multiplier with smaller parties) for no extra reward. To me, the current system seems to reward in the short term as you level, and then, as I said previously, drag you down forever at cap because the extra effort you have to put in is still there, but the extra reward isn't.

Primarily, I hope they'll just add in an option to turn off enemy scaling when you're starting a mission and leave it on as the default option. If for whatever reason that's not possible, I'd suggest adding in a drop rate bonus for having larger parties to reward you for dealing with bloated enemy health. Then again, neither are exactly mutually exclusive, so why not add both if it's possible?

Should nothing be changed however, I see myself in the future either playing solo, or having a single acrotecher friend running with me and just using NPCs whenever they get those working as meat shields because larger parties just wouldn't be worth the pointless extra effort they'd bring when hunting for gear, or in general really.

Bit of a side note that occurred to me while writing this, but enemy scaling was also probably largely to be blamed for what seemed to be an issue previously with the blast bar charging too quickly. Compared to a vanilla enemy, six man runs just had so much more health that you'd have that much more time and opportunity to charge that it wasn't really surprising you could fire off an SUV or Nanoblast every block. Either way though, I'd also suggest boosting blast bar charge rate a small bit. Using the terminology in the announcement, I'd suggest changing the charge rate from 5 minutes down to 4 minutes 45 seconds.

I can only speak from my own experiences, but current enemy hp scaling scales more slowly than the extra firepower that having additional players brings to the table, unless you're dealing with terrible randos but unfortunately that's really difficult to account for without also making things too easy for groups of better prepared players.  I do agree that the scaling should be expanded into drop rates, although I don't want to give any numbers since how each variable affects the experience isn't something I have a perfect intuition for as a filthy casual.

Personally I always felt like monsters were balanced for 2 player groups, so I kind of wish that when playing solo monster stats would actually be scaled down a tad bit so the game was more solo friendly.  However that's a balance issue we can't fully test yet until higher levels are available.

Unless the extra party members are total shit at the game, you should benefit from having them join your party. The enemy HP increases 40%, but the extra party member increases your attack power 100%. The party scale system isn't there to discourage multiplayer. It's there to help balance the various party sizes, otherwise we would end up with either 1 player or 6 player being vastly superior to the other.

It won't feel like a slog when the players have time to level up and get stronger. Right now, most players are still very weak. Give it some time. Even with 3x enemy HP, you will still see 6 strong players completely destroying a mission quickly in the same way a strong solo player would fly through a mission with enemies at half HP.

Increasing drop rates for parties is a horrible idea. Doing a 6 player mission now, currently drops 6 missions worth of stuff (1 per each person.) If anything, drop rates should be DECREASED in parties so when a good party runs a mission for 10 hours, the market isn't completely ruined on every single drop from the mission.

Not much to say about the actual system. I think it works well. The scaling forces you to play the best you can, and make thing a bit more challenging.

Concerning drop rates, it's true that the market is kinda ridiculous atm, BUT : the craft system isn't inplemented yet. Once it will, thing should go better. Plus what we loot now is "crap".

Too soon to see if it should be changed or not in my opinion.