Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A small update

Gnome

This may not be an update post you were expecting, but it was to come eventually.

After 8 long years of pouring his time and effort into this project, Marmalade has left the Clementine Team. This wasn't an easy decision for him and had been talking about it for a few months due to family and medical concerns. It goes without saying that Clementine only exists because of the insane amount of work Marm put in over the years, and I'll be rather blunt in this post, the fantastic vocal community of Phantasy Star chewed him up and spat him out in the middle of some serious health problems. I've been along side Marm for the majority of the journey to where we are today, and I've watched his slow decline in both physical and mental health because of what this project and this community has done over the years, through the drama and backstabbing and it's sickening. I'm impressed he soldiered on as much as he did and for as long as he did to be honest. Everyone else that was good for this team left years ago because of the same. Needless to say I'll forever be grateful for what he achieved with Phantasy Star Universe and did to bring this old game back to life for us to enjoy. Sadly you will never know the full extent of the effects this project and community had on his health but it was dark and absolutely not OK.

I know people have their opinions on where Clementine has ended up as of right now, but it doesn't excuse what happened behind the scenes over the past few months, and the unneccessary burden and attacks. A lot was usually pinned on Marmalade when 9 times out of 10 it wasn't his fault, but because others can't accept responsibility. Obviously, I have strong opinions on what has happened because I've been a long time close friend of Marm and because of that I think it's only appropriate that I say what I'm about to say.

The straw that broke the camel's back for us was a recent event where some of our old files were sold/leaked by a former moderator that you may all know, Parallaxed. The people involved in this transaction and are in no way sympathethic for what has happened or the effects that it had, and will presumably continue their endeavour to replicate what Clementine is through the use of stolen files are Flawless / WilsonPSOBB, and Soly (From the Ultima PSOBB development team). Myself, Marm or Tony never signed off on this, never agreed to it and there was never an attempt to make some sort of agreement between us. If you're not aware, it will be 9 years in February when work began on Clementine. That's a very large portion of our lives to dedicate to something, just for it be taken for malicious intent and personal gain.

Going forward

I'd like to firstly thank every one of you that have supported us over the years and for the appreciation that you do show, believe me, we hear you and for the people that are not happy with the current state of Clementine, we hear you too. As of the middle of December I was transferred everything from Marmalade, and tonight finalised the transfer which will allow me to continue Clementine. While I'm not certain on Clementine's future in terms of updates as I have a life outside of this, I can promise that we will remain online for as long as I can keep it up, as I don't wish to see Phantasy Star Universe die a second death. I will be discussing with the existing team on what actions to take for Clementine to go in a better direction. However, going forward, I will not accept toxicity within our community as it has gone on for far too long and driven far too many people away.

Thanks,
- Gnome

I want to wish you a good health, Marmy. Leaks happens, traitors exist, this is what life is, sometimes it get's tricky, but when you're still living there's no time to give up, take your rest, do something you like.  <3

Don't get too upset that people really pissed themselves over clementine not being tailored exactly how they think it should be.   No matter what decision is made, someone out there isn't gonna be happy.

Constructive feedback is fine, wetting yourself to the point of toxicity isn't.

It's ultimately up to the dev team for what direction the game goes in--they're the ones working on it.   I know the team has taken constructive feedback into consideration and has acted upon it before--and that's great!    There's a point where it can go too far, though.    I wouldn't be too upset about the files, the same thing probably happened with PSO.   Let them do their own thing and go through the same kind of stress and see how they handle it.   Might actually be for the better if it takes a lot of toxic behavior away.

First off id like to say i take my hat off to you marmalade and hope only the best and Thank you for what you did it wont go unforgotten to the people that matter and i only wish for a prosperous life for you. 2nd Gnome i appreciate you even taking the time and effort to even  try to keep this going for everyone even though things in this world are difficult as it is and it will forever be recognized here and if you ever need more support ill do what i can always.

As Someone Who came into this game a month ago i would like to say i only but praised the ones who kept this game going and it makes me sick that this evil world has even come into our universe. This is one my safe places and for someone who pours there heart and soul into a game so that people like me and you can  feel this way is just madding to see it tear people away from it. Stand Strong Winter is Definitely coming and the shit will get shifted through the storm but where there is death comes beauty not always in the ways we expect but it will be there.

Gnome I'm very sorry to hear what Marmalade went through I wish all the best for him and his family and with great thanks for what he has put in to Clemintine. As for you Gnome thank you for taking on this huge project I know it must be a bucket full to handle. Thank you for taking over the project I look forward to the future of Clemintine....

I haven't been a part of this community for very long. I've checked in over the years and always had clem in the back of my mind, but I only seriously started playing about a month or so ago. But in that time I have had a complete and total blast. I am super grateful for all of the hard work that was put into this server, and as shitty as it is to have your work stolen, just remember the people on this server and the people that put in all this time here are going to know even if this pops up elsewhere that Marm was the OG that made all of this possible. Your work laid the foundation for all of this and I hope some day you're able to come back in any capacity as an admin or a gamer and enjoy the amazing work that you did. 

I look forward to playing here a long time and want to thank Marm and all the team for their efforts for my stupid ass to go die to megid all day long and slowly drain the server of all its moon atomizers.

Now please, give me rutsularods and buff FT <3

I can't add anything new, what the others already mention, expect one thing, a warm and sweet hug, for Marmy

It's uneasy to hear, that the stress cause such hard issues to someone whom didn't deserve to deal with it in the first place!
All the respect toward the dev team, and of course Marmy <3 big time for resurrect this gem from ashes.

*hugs* Get better soon Marmy <3

I'm so sorry to hear Marmy's health has been declining, the way he was treated by others and the backstabbing Paralaxxed done to everyone in this community. What he did was absolutely out of line and I can only hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the future. Regardless of what happens PSU Clementine will always be the original project and any replications can't take that away from us the community.

I want to thank Marmy for everything he has done for us - mods, patreons, players and guests alike. Had it not beeen for his efforts as well as everyone elses we would not be in this spot today and that deserves an applause. I also want to apoligise to him if anything I said prior caused him to suffer in silence, it's pretty easy for people to not be aware of the implifications of their actions towards others. 

If you are reading this Marmy - Take as long as you need, if you ever feel like checking in on us we'll be there to say hello!

spacer.png

• Moderators

Marm deserved better quite frankly. 

I'm just glad he is putting his health above this project.

The good players (Non toxic) made PSUC an absolute delight to play on.

Toxic players demonized and lied and spread nonsense about others to benefit themselves only.

Flawless was a dickhead from the moment he joined PSUC and I regret never removing that toxic infection the moment he got onto our radar as a toxic player.

The good players deserved a better community but ultimately toxicity/lies took down a really good person and I don't think anyone deserves to be treated the way Marm was treated by the majority of the community.

Well, shoot. Lurked and watched for a good five years before finally diving in for six hours straight today. Then this?

Amazing work Marmalade and good luck out there. I've been on both sides of this type of garbage. I'd say don't look back but its tough looking away from something after you put that much time in. Rather, don't look back until you're in a better place, and only if you want to.

(Was going to register, but I guess this forum blocks my VPN...guess I'll put PSU back on the she's dead list unless the future looks more certain here...)

I was linked this thread in private by a friend.

While I have left this community behind, I want to say...I'm sorry. I hope this sort of thing never happens again. I hope everyone is treated better in the future.

While I knew there had to be extreme challenges and obstacles that had to be overcome, I never knew such events was happening behind scenes. For the server to shut down for several hours without an explanation, I imagined that something drastic must've happened, but never imagined this.

I can count on my hands how many times I've logged onto this website, but if there was ever a time, this would be one. I joke around a lot, but a day never goes by when I am not thankful for the team that literally made a dream into reality, where so many thought it was impossible. In every community, even Clementine, toxic individuals will exist. However, I'm glad that a "Zero Tolerance" policy seems like it will be implemented.

I hope you guys realize there are many people out there who appreciate all the hard work the clementine team has done. If I ever said anything out of frustration, I apologize. It is nice knowing the individuals who has caused such harm, though. 

Keep up the good work and I wish Marm the best. In no shape or form did you deserve any of this. I am saddened and furious at the same time. Good luck and I wish you all well. 

Not sure if stolen files really are an issue (ofc, putting aside the moral aspect of the thing...)

If a few manage to do PSU Banana or Cucumber, then there is a "challenger" which could be another source of motivation to move forward and keep doing stuff. 

... But that's for the best scenario.

Basically there is many steps before this happen, and they can't expect anything good from PSU community if the project is like "hey look with the stolen files we did a clunky and buggy server, plz join" or "hey look with the stolen files, we did something close to Clem, altough we criticize it...plz join"

This is very shocking and saddening news for multiple reasons...

First and foremost to Marm I will be forever grateful for everything that you have done, to take something like PSU (which I never thought I would be playing again after both the NA and JP servers closed down) and bring it back large scale and free to play for anyone.  You have made thousands of people happy and many more to come.  You are a good one, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  From my years of game development experience that I now have, I can for sure say that you can never please everyone and you can only hope to please as many as possible.  (Unfortunately the ones that are unhappy tend to be the loudest and most toxic...)  What Gnome said was frightening and truly haunting, sadly it can happen to the best of us.  I wish you a very speedy and complete recovery both mentally and physically.  Life is beautiful, go enjoy it.

Bobby... aka Milranduil, a person that I spent thousands of hours playing and TAing PSU with on both NA and JP servers.  Not really sure what to say, just what the fuck? mostly.  Then again another part of me isn't very surprised to see you on Gnome's short list of Clem enemy scum...  I hope that you and your groups little project using Clems stolen files/assets fails spectacularly.

Gnome and the rest of the Clem staff thank you for continuing your support of this game and enlightening me to a former good friends unfortunate actions which I am very saddened by.  I know that I am just some random person on the internet, but I do have game dev experience and played PSU for 6 years on both NA and JP Servers... if you need help with anything please feel free to reach out and I will be happy to help however I can.

I'm not shocked to be quite honest, I saw the buildup happening a while ago. I just wish Marm took my advice and mentally dismissed the community's toxicity, but i guess its really not that easy. Not saying this as a toldja so or something snarky, so please do not take it that way. I'm just disappointed in myself, because I shoulda pushed harder when I specifically warned Marm about these people literally years ago, hindsight 20/20 I guess. Its kind of a shame to see it go this way but for his sake I'm glad hes finally gonna get a long deserved break from the community. I know I wasn't exactly nice as a moderator, but I pushed back on the community as hard as I did for a reason. It's a toxic cesspit of entrenched opinions and unwavering set in stone ideas for what somethings supposed to be, thats why I said multiple times "Ignore people and do whats needed for the game". I know my input wont be valued as much as I've prettymuch left this community much earlier in the same fashion, and I didn't contribute to the actual coding, but I sincerely hope you guys find a way to push forward and find a way to make this game work.

Sorry for the PSU community's loss.

Edited by Nikki

Sorry to hear Marm. Most of us wished that this wasn't the outcome. This is meant as a general question, but why wasn't there a PR group for Clementine? Giving players direct access to question the main developer was probably the wrong move.

It's in the past now but we're happy that Marm is putting his life over this game. This project is only here because of his hard work and dedication and no one will forget that.

Best of luck to Marm and the new PSUC team.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Seority said:

Sorry to hear Marm. Most of us wished that this wasn't the outcome. This is meant as a general question, but why wasn't there a PR group for Clementine? Giving players direct access to question the main developer was probably the wrong move.

It's in the past now but we're happy that Marm is putting his life over this game. This project is only here because of his hard work and dedication and no one will forget that.

Best of luck to Marm and the new PSUC team.

I personally don't think having a PR group would have made a difference in reality for the simple fact of Marm was demonized for answering questions and then demonized for not answering questions because it just depended on which toxic POS was asking at the time.

There were numerous Developer update's that answered a plethora of questions over the years but every day the same 5-10 questions would get answered EVEN IF Marm/Gnome/Kyu would put the answers to those questions in a post on the announcement's page.

The other side was people who would ask the question and then get an answer but then want to argue and try to deter a much needed update simply because it didn't gel with what they were currently farming the ever living shit out of or were more interested in making sure we didn't nerf their next big meseta grind and less concerned with how it actually effected the game and it's economy and it's playerbase in general.

All in all I can say from a personal standpoint we did answer a lot of questions and myself personally would take questions very often to the Dev's and then feed the answer's back publicly to the people asking but it just never stopped and nor did the disapproval of whatever the answer happened to be.

I hope this shed's some light from my perspective atleast.

Edit: I wanna make it clear that the vast majority of people asking question's had no ill intent and for the most part were just curious and wondering what was going to happen which is perfectly natural and honestly the best type of person to ask. The post is more directed towards the more unsavoury members of the community.

You seems really upset Souma but I fully understand what you mean, and I agree with you : I also noticed that a fairly large number of people (say 10-15%) were asking questions or asking things that were wrong and not for the sake of Clem but for their personal comfort. Thats, and all those shitty behavior. But if we take this server seriously, then some changes in the management of the community must be made. There is a lot of situation that could have been resolved, like Nikki said above. Some ideas :

1) Much more firmness, with concrete rules and sanctions (like for exemple, with a section on the forum to contest the sanction and clarify the situation : the "my shit will be public" help a lot to curb the bulk of the problems)

2) Something you don't really like or really want to see ? Make a topic and explain why. That's all. I am basically the only one who did that over the year. Anything than that : deleted, with a DM to tell they to post a solution about it on the forum, if they think they have a solid and strong idea about how thing should be. For 90% of the time it sux and missing the point of what the game is, simple as that lol 

The point of all this is : confront people with themselves, see what they really have inside or if it's just basic troll. This will be a good start to make a server better, at least imo

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Aelphasy said:

You seems really upset Souma but I fully understand what you mean, and I agree with you : I also noticed that a fairly large number of people (say 10-15%) were asking questions or asking things that were wrong and not for the sake of Clem but for their personal comfort. Thats, and all those shitty behavior. But if we take this server seriously, then some changes in the management of the community must be made. There is a lot of situation that could have been resolved, like Nikki said above. Some ideas :

1) Much more firmness, with concrete rules and sanctions (like for exemple, with a section on the forum to contest the sanction and clarify the situation : the "my shit will be public" help a lot to curb the bulk of the problems)

2) Something you don't really like or really want to see ? Make a topic and explain why. That's all. I am basically the only one who did that over the year. Anything than that : deleted, with a DM to tell they to post a solution about it on the forum, if they think they have a solid and strong idea about how thing should be. For 90% of the time it sux and missing the point of what the game is, simple as that lol 

The point of all this is : confront people with themselves, see what they really have inside or if it's just basic troll. This will be a good start to make a server better, at least imo

I will say that i'm not *upset* and to be honest I am not really sure how to describe it but I regret not doing more.

You do make good points and firmness was one of the things I wish I had been more steadfast in because we could have cleaned up a lot more of the trolls/toxic players than we did as fast as we did.

Who knows what the future leads because I sure hope Clem can become a thriving game with a great community but it'll take the work of everyone not just the mods/devs but also the community aswell.