Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Progress Report

Marmalade

Y'ello, I arrive with a progress update just to keep you in the know. Last few weeks have been shit, so I apologize for the silence, but I'll cut to the important things.

The first thing I should explain is that I've made the decision to split the team up into two parts. Because I'm finding it too frustrating to work on certain things, and it's hurting my drive, I'm focusing on the things that I enjoy and want to do without the unnecessary stress. Aside from Myself and Gnome, Kyu now has the ability to manage and push updates to the server without having to rely on me. With this change, everyone will be in the better position to push the rest of the existing games content to you, and not have to worry about me breathing down everyone's neck.

While they work on doing that, I'll be reworking my schedule and focusing on the things I want to do for PSU. Below is what has been worked on, and what the current plan of attack is. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

The Upgrade Device & Grinding

That thing I spoke about already. I can confirm now that The Upgrade Device is possible and has mostly been implemented, with the exception of figuring out GC income. My approach hasn't strayed terribly far from the official mechanic, but I will share with you some changes that I hope you can benefit from.

It's important to note that The Upgrade Device is unfortunately limited in its abilities to be customized. It can not currently be changed beyond the system that was originally implemented, but working with it is possible, and has improved weapon management.

The biggest concern was how inconvenient Grinding and Repairing was, or could end up being, but most of those concerns have been buffered out. We have made a new location on the Guardians Colony which is dedicated to weapon Grinding and Upgrade management. It has congregated all of the Grinder NPC's into one location, as well as an easily accessible terminal for The Upgrade Device services. It isn't much of a hassle to Grind or Repair your weapons, or even raise their element. It is incredibly convenient, so I hope it will improve the situation immensely.

uQwMh6n.png

UmWdDIW.png

With the introduction of The Upgrade Device and Repairs, it shouldn't be a massive shock that weapons can now break again. The biggest concern or complaint that I want to avoid is people thinking grinding will remain as toxic as it currently is. It will not. The chance of getting your weapon to 10/10 will be a little more generous than the official system.

I have rewritten the Grinding system completely. My goal here is to keep the integrity of the original AOTI system in place, without it being an incessant, time wasting mechanic. Besides the reintroduction of weapon breaks, there are a number of other changes you should be aware of.

1. Weapon "breaks" will no longer reset your weapons to 0, but rather will reduce the current grind by a predetermined amount, and the maximum grind by 1.

2. The first few grinds will always be guaranteed. The number of grinds that are guaranteed are determined by the rank of the weapon. Naturally, C and B are easier than A or S. Additionally, this also includes a bug fix where the client would report "No chance of failure", but would still fail at a 1% chance.

3. Depending on the weapons rank, there will be a floor for how low a weapon can realistically break. C and B rank weapons will not break nearly as badly as A or S, for example. S rank weapons will not be able to drop below 4/4, and C rank weapons will not be able to drop below 8/8.

4. There is now an additional mechanic in place where users can gain +2 grinds instead of +1, at a 5% chance when Grinding.

The success rate of actually grinding your weapon to 10/10 without a single break has been raised considerably. Currently, the chance of getting a weapon to 10 without a single break is around 4% without a boost, and 11% with the boost, best case scenario. The new system raises this to a 16% chance worst case scenario, to a 44% chance best case scenario, for A and S. The success rate of a weapon successfully grinding is altered by the weapons rarity grade. The higher the rarity grade of the weapon, the slightly lower its chance of success are. For example, a 15 Star weapon has a lower chance of success compared than a 12 Star.

I have spent a considerable amount of time on this and testing it to make sure it works around the stop gaps and the time waste aspects of grinding, to the best of my and the games abilities. You can expect to repair your weapon a few times, but you would be very incredibly unlucky to not have your weapon to 10/10 within 15 to 20 minutes. Compared to the fact that it currently takes people multiple hours and grinders to 10/10 a weapon, this is an overall improvement.

The last part of this, obviously, is obtaining GC in order to repair and upgrade your weapons and equipment. This is something I would like to be farmable, so that it's available to you consistently and constantly, and without any bullshit. I think a good starting point currently is having it be rewarded for S clearing missions, at a reasonable rate. While I would like to incorporate multiple methods to obtain GC in the future, this is the most simple and straight forward solution for the time being.

You shouldn't expect GC to be awfully difficult to obtain, it won't be 100 runs to repair once, but please don't expect it to be 1 run to repair your shit.

Guardians Trial Service

This is something that I've been working on in my own free time, and while it's still being worked on and planned, I would at least like to make you aware of it. The Guardians Trial Service is (or will be) a collection of missions that include trials and challenges. My goal is to have them be solo friendly, time attack friendly, and challenge friendly, depending on your preference. Because Challenge Mode never really went anywhere, and I'm now spending a fair amount of time learning PSU's scripting language, it's a good opportunity for me to turn it into content.

Unfortunately I don't have a great deal to show off, but the basic concept is working. I would like my initial release of this system to include a minimum of 4 trials, each making use of the Forest, Caves, Mines, and Ruins areas that are in PSU. After that, I would like to create trials for some other areas, like Ohtori for instance.

hYduqNb.png

Q9h4jVI.png

Trials will be taken from the previously assigned Challenge Mode lobby. There is a mission there, but all I could really show you is fighting Booma's. You know what that looks like.

These trials will typically include a timer, so you can somewhat accurately mark your times. On top of this system, I would also like it if it could reward players with GC or something useful, so you have additional options for that. I would like to include the odd puzzle or challenge inside of these missions when possible, however my main concern is how nicely these mechanic can play with each other, so I will have to experiment further.

Halloween Event & S3 Content

While the Halloween Event and the upcoming S3 content isn't my field, I can at least share information about the expected plan. The Halloween Event mission will potentially drop on Monday 25th, however it depends on whether testing goes well. At the very latest, expect it by the 31st, but it would be preferable for Monday. It is a basic event which will hopefully aim to reward players consistently, and it will run for 2 weeks.

As for S3 content, the plan is for it all (or most of it) to be released after the event has passed and ended. Whether this is immediately after or not, I couldn't tell you. It depends on whether they can finish loot and drops or not, and I don't intend to rush or push for it anymore. With the launch of the event, the level cap will be raised significantly to 150 in order for players to prepare for the next content burst. 

While this isn't entirely everything, it is all that I can really report on for the moment, so I hope it's something you can look forward to, or at least be reassured that things are still happening. The rest of what I'm working on is just NPC cleaning, new player experience, and the junk I spoke about in my previous post (with some reconsiderations).

Making missions is time consuming and at times very frustrating, so I can't give you a realistic time for my work to become available. The Upgrade Device, Grinding and GC is something I want to be thoroughly tested before release, as well as the Trial missions. I can tell you that it will be after the Halloween event, but most certainly not with it. After I finish what I'm working on, and it's convenient, I would very much like to work on creating an event that is fun and highly polished.

Thanks, as always, for your patience and support.

PSUC being more generous then PSU how it used to be? It already sounds like a good thing, and I'm sure a lot of people can't wait to see how it turns out.

Speaking of a lot of people, don't feel too bad or down about having to split up the team to do things, and Ultimately ease up the load. Just like the classes we all have our specialties, do's and don'ts, wants and needs. You do what you gotta.

Many cheers for Team clem! 

It makes a lot of sense to split it like this. Systems tend to take a while to develop but having new features will impact the server greatly. On the other hand Content needs to keep moving even if the underlying systems will take a while to update. So right now it sounds like there's a Content team working on new missions, events etc and a Systems team on the back end. It's a good idea really!

On grinding,

The success rate of a weapon successfully grinding is altered by the weapons rarity grade. The higher the rarity grade of the weapon, the slightly lower its chance of success are. For example, a 15 Star weapon has a lower chance of success compared than a 12 Star.

Personally, 10⭐ and 11⭐ tend to be weaker than 9⭐, while S grinders tend to be more expensive and rarer than As. I think 12⭐ weapons  and above should have lower chances of success than 9⭐, but 10⭐ and 11⭐ should be higher, even if it sounds counterintuitive.

Not really a huge impact either way though, realistically even if I could 10/10 a 10⭐ easily I'd probably go for a better weapon anyway especially in S3.

Edited by Selphea

Tbh i'm excited about this progress of more content for PSUC.

However, @Marmaladealthough it makes sense that you can change the element for melee weapons since neutral deals 30% of damage against neutral enemies, my question is, what's the relevant point of changing the element of a Line Shield to neutral if a neutral Line Shield doesn't give much benefit in comparison with an elemental or rainbow Line Shield?

5 hours ago, Marmalade said:

With the introduction of The Upgrade Device and Repairs, it shouldn't be a massive shock that weapons can now break again.

Oh joy.

5 hours ago, Marmalade said:

You can expect to repair your weapon a few times, but you would be very incredibly unlucky to not have your weapon to 10/10 within 15 to 20 minutes.

I expect to hear many tales to the contrary of this by matter of how some people are the mortal enemies of RNG. I expect to be one of those people, and with multiple items at that. I accept that you outright stated the odds, and that they're improved, but hooooooo boy I expect the worst. Of course I also hope that that it actually will only take 20 mins max... but well. "Hope for the best, plan for the worst" as they say. I guess we'll see when it hits the main line.

Everything else sounds pretty okay though. Boy that's a level cap hike though, and I quite like it... well except for the fact I nearly hit the current one, hahaha. Oh well. Upwards and onwards like always! 👍

Edited by ScarletMel

• Silver Supporter
7 hours ago, Sakarisei said:

Tbh i'm excited about this progress of more content for PSUC.

However, @Marmaladealthough it makes sense that you can change the element for melee weapons since neutral deals 30% of damage against neutral enemies, my question is, what's the relevant point of changing the element of a Line Shield to neutral if a neutral Line Shield doesn't give much benefit in comparison with an elemental or rainbow Line Shield?

Green photon effect obviously.

The amount of love that has gone into this server is truly remarkable. PSU has always held a special place in my heart, and seeing it continue to evolve is so incredible. You're breathing new life into this old, beautiful game. It really is unbelievable some times.

Thank you for all that you do.

I‘m not sure how you feeling about it or if it is even possible to do that, but additionally to making GC farmable, I think it would cool if every player got like a monthly amount of GC for free to spend and maybe some additional GC to those people who support the game with their patreon pledge. I know there might be people who disagree, because they feel in a disadvantage if they aren‘t a patreon supporter and thus receiving less GC, but I also think it would be a nice addition for those who decided to put their patronage on this game. 
It would be a nice reward I guess and additionally to that, it may also get more supporters to patreon. 

Not sure how the community feels on things like that and if it gets people up in arms about others being priviliged, then I forget I made this suggestion. 
I know you aren‘t much for having people pay for this, but there is those who gladly do because you brought PSU back to them and that way, they could also get something additional in return.

Other than that, great news, I can‘t wait to be able to switch weapon elements again. Sounds like awesome progress altogether. 
Thank you for your hard work!

6 hours ago, アイカ said:

I think it would cool if every player got like a monthly amount of GC for free to spend and maybe some additional GC to those people who support the game with their patreon pledge.

Never do this. People should only support the server like that if they want to keep things going. Making it so supporters get GC for it lays the foundation for "Hey, if you pay money you can get stuff!" Doesn't matter that everyone can already get it, the fact that you could pay for more would start sending the server down a hole I don't know Marm and the others would like... but I'm not them, so they can speak about that themselves. All I can say is that for myself, if this were to happen, I'd leave the server and never look back.

9 hours ago, アイカ said:

I think it would cool if every player got like a monthly amount of GC for free to spend and maybe some additional GC to those people who support the game with their patreon pledge. I know there might be people who disagree, because they feel in a disadvantage if they aren‘t a patreon supporter and thus receiving less GC, but I also think it would be a nice addition for those who decided to put their patronage on this game. 

P2W (pay-to-win) games are the reason most games die out. Micro-transactions are the death of games.

I support the DEV's and CODER's who do put in all the work for the server. But getting "in-game" content for supporting them, is not a good idea cause many of the players, old and new, who do not have the means (money), to support via Patreon donations, will stop playing cause they don't have what the other person has and will/might feel less encouraged to continue to play on the server.

And we all know, the only way a server survives and flourishes, is PLAYERS... well, and content that they cannot get on other servers for FREE.

2 hours ago, ScarletMel said:

Never do this. People should only support the server like that if they want to keep things going. Making it so supporters get GC for it lays the foundation for "Hey, if you pay money you can get stuff!" Doesn't matter that everyone can already get it, the fact that you could pay for more would start sending the server down a hole I don't know Marm and the others would like... but I'm not them, so they can speak about that themselves. All I can say is that for myself, if this were to happen, I'd leave the server and never look back.

I agree 100 percent via my comment on the above quoted post. I too would also leave and, once again, leave the beloved PSU game that I loved in my high-school days.

I joined "the clem" cause they did not have micro-transactions. (Reason also stated above in quoted post).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...