Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Discussion About Drop Direction Going into S3 and beyond~ and suggestions

lostbob117

OK, I was going to put this in Suggestions, but I wanted to extend this to an actual discussion. There is a variety of things I want to talk about equipment progression basically in S3 and beyond that. 
I don't even know where to begin saying the thoughts of this I've been connecting inside my head!

Let's review what S2 brought us.

S2 Mission Drops

There was some nice upgrades going into S2, but a lot of the missions were pretty lack luster. My biggest complaint is the fact that Mother Brain's drops were like really bad again. Going forward I think drops should be revised periodically to update the Missions that ended up being lackluster from feedback or just data of no one running that mission for it's drops. 

Trade-In Weapons

These Weapons kinda suck to make right now. The materials are pretty rare while most of them being pretty bad now, and a lot of them require the same materials. Most of the trade-ins just require 1 of X and Y item, but it won't distinguish between the items that differ in value. When deciding on putting in Trade-In Items, they have to be better than what you can find on the ground as long as this kind of trade-in keeps up. That or differ the values of them.

Speaking of Trade-In Weapons, let's talk about the Weapon Jump

PA Boosted Weapons & Just Good Weapons in General

With S3 approach it seems some weapon types will be making the Weapon Jump at some point during it. I wanted to make a suggestion regarding the just better weapons coming eventually such as PA Boosted Weapons and Weapons that are a big jump in power. I'll call it Special Rank Weapons for now.

Special Rank Weapons will be weapons that can drop as a Board requiring an Account Bound Item that you'd find anywhere while playing. The Boards and Weapons will be tradeable, however the item required will not be.

Now before you mention not being able to make prototypes, I plan to talk about that after the idea, so please continue reading before commenting that!

So here's my current thoughts of how this would work, I'll try to get as many details in as possible.

Photon Drops, Photon Crystals, and Photon Spheres (and Maybe Photon Hordes)

The account bound items would be Photon Drops, Crystals and Spheres. Photon Drops would be able to found at a random chance anywhere that a Photon of any kind can drop at any rank, and Photon Crystals will be S2 or S3+ drop. Photon Spheres would be S4+, and I know we're not quite there yet but for the sake of the idea let's roll with it.

These drops would be uncommon but not rare considering they would be account bound. A reward for just playing the game would be progressing toward being able to trade for items or create powerful weapons. 

Photon Drops & Photon Hordes- Items that anyone can get that'll have some Trade-In Guy (maybe named Gallon or something idk) selling boards that you can use Photon Drops to create items. Ideally weapons that are powerful enough for newer players to use as they are getting later into the game. Also, valuable items traded for with Photon Hordes (Which would be traded at this guy for 99 Photon Drops). Photon Horde would only be if you wanted to do like 1 Photon Horde + 50 Photon Drops or make something cost multiple Photon Hordes.

When I say valuable items I mean like:

- Chevalier Edge
- Photon Booster
- Maybe some SUV?
- and more like this, but of course those ones would cost a pretty penny. It'd keep Photon Drops relevant later into the game.

Photon Crystals- Items used to make lower tier Special Rank Weapons that will be possibly the best you could make in S3, but you'd have to also find the Board drop wherever it's planted in a Mission. As a mention, striking weapons should cost a bit less.

Photon Spheres- Items used to make higher tier Special Rank Weapons for S4

Maybe something else for later, or another way to get weapons afterwards. Not everything good has to be found this way, and eventually maybe the lower tier stuff will be added as drops when they become a little outdated so prototypes can be found of them. 

The idea of this is to put some kind of visual progression onto your farming. This way if you're a bit unlucky one day you'd still be progressing. Now I know you can argue that is already the case, but since these would be account bound, you can look at it as your personal progression.

Now let me explain why there shouldn't be prototypes of what would be the best weapons basically.

Prototype Weapons Direction

So let's talk about the direction prototypes would take with this idea. Basically changing prototypes a little bit and this idea would work together with making PSU's drops as interesting as possible, because it'd open so many more options rather than 1 single best weapon.

Basically, the idea of prototype weapons before was to make weaker weapons better, but it ended only making stronger weapons much stronger. So, the reason we make the good weapons as boards requiring something simple to find is to make the worse weapons better with the Prototype system and try and bring the other weapons up to scuff with the Special Rank Weapons.

There are a few routes you could go with prototype weapons, such as making multiple different ones you could get. Another route is killing it down to only one version of a Prototype which just makes the weapon a better version. I'm not sure which is the best way to go, so this is something you guys can ramble on about yourselves.

In short, you'd only find prototypes of the weapons that could become as powerful or close enough in power to use instead of having to get a whole set of the Special Rank Weapon you want.

Rare Enemies & Their Drops

So this is the last thing I really want to talk about in this post. Rare enemy drops suck! There is no reason to get excited to find a Rare Enemy (except maybe Jigo Booma for Milla). So, I did think of an idea to make them exciting again without making them drop some powerful weapons, cause I don't really want to hunt Rare Enemies for my powerful weapons.

Basically the idea is every Rare Enemy will be able to drop a Rare Enemy Ticket or something along those lines. These would be used in another new Trade-In for even more valuable items. This way finding rare enemies is exciting again.

As always, I'm open to discuss and elaborate on things more if needed.

Edited by lostbob117

For S3 drops, if possible, when in the planning stage maybe do a table of all bosses, as well as essential drops (techer head unit, good arm unit options, line shields, new weapons for the next tier etc) and then do a matching exercise such that each boss has a good distribution of what fighters, gunners, and techers would want.

The missions without bosses can have alternate options like weapons in the same power tier but different stats, or nice-to-haves like MST head units. Maybe they could have higher rates of previous tier drops, like an easy Rabol Bistat drop or something for newbie gearing.

If I had to be specific I'd really rather not see a class' essential item stuck in Lab Recovery S3 since the number of boxes at the end of that mission is just pathetic.

No comment on PA boosted weapons, Special Rank Weapons and Prototypes for now. I need to see how The Upgrade Device and stuff like 0/15 protos land first, but I do think PA boost weapons shouldn't have protos.

Edited by Selphea

Hi

So there's this suggestion/discussion.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:30 AM, lostbob117 said:

There was some nice upgrades going into S2, but a lot of the missions were pretty lack luster. My biggest complaint is the fact that Mother Brain's drops were like really bad again.

Mother brain's loot:

Exam+ is a pretty decent saber, for every class that can use S rank saber in my opinion :3
Speed King... I haven't got one, but it judging the name... it meant to be THE RCSM that applies things faster, Get one in blue, and lv 3 dfp down. ^_^ Ideal for AF (Dark can cause  confuse, so you can basically laugh around, of the mass confusion ^_^)
Brain Spiral is the scre gloves for Wartechy :3
Twin Glasher... No clue.... But not every drop must be the best i suppose, but looking nice :3
Infinite Saber is a decent stuff, altough, there are goodies, that makes it feel like bad....

Trade-In Weapons

Before i comment, i would like to hear your example ^_^* Not sure if i should encourage it or not

With S3 approach it seems some weapon types will be making the Weapon Jump at some point during it. I wanted to make a suggestion regarding the just better weapons coming eventually such as PA Boosted Weapons and Weapons that are a big jump in power.

There are already a few weapon available with slightly modded bonus, but yeah. There will be a few goodie, that will have way  better bonuses than what we have (accroding to the old psupedia)

I'll call it Special Rank Weapons for now.

Special Rank Weapons will be weapons that can drop as a Board requiring an Account Bound Item that you'd find anywhere while playing. The Weapons will be tradeable once created.

Nah, this one is bad :(
If the board is untradable, why should the weapon become tradable?

(and Maybe Photon Hordes)

Nope

Photon Hordes (Which would be traded at this guy for 99 Photon Drops)

If we pick up the pso references, 99 PD = 1 PS not PH ^_^*

It'd keep Photon Drops relevant later into the game.

Photon drops were tradable in pso1 (and were used as currency way more than meseta for it's abilities) Even in late game you could always use them for good.
And while i have no clue how it will be added, or if will be added.... I think Photon drops will be always relevant for a phantasy star game ^^ in  a way :3

Prototype Weapons Direction

As someone whom confused about this whole system will simply going to ignore this point :(  Sorry

Rare Enemies & Their Drops

Finally a point ^_^

Rare enemy drops suck!

How dare you!

Shato can turned into shato+
Melan knucks can be used for good
Lab staff.... Never seen any, but the special drops from one is always welcome <3
Psycho gun aka the gun that never runs out? Come oooooooon it's cool
Lumira HP restorate... LV 5 auto regen Better than giresta's ^_^
Darbelan .... All of it is useful ^_^
Delnadian.... Okay aside of the  rainbow.... (that is common from others) nothing else
Lutus.... REWORK HIM!!!!
Org Dus... That unit only.... other than that... Reword :P
Jaggoes and Rappies are fine ^^

I don't really want to hunt Rare Enemies for my powerful weapons.

If powerful weapons would be super common, you would get borred on having them. Sometimes the journey is the reason you pick up games, and while you might be lucky, and you get a really good drop early on (or unluckly like me... from time to time), But either way, if you would be able to blast the monsters too hard without challange, you probably loose interest at some point. Which would lead eventually to the point, that people would only ever would join, when there's an event happen (Which some of us already do)

As of conclusion: Tie a few goodies for certain mission/enemies or add the Super rare mark on several items, can prevent this from happen such thing.
There's an "external" solution i could bring up, that's like something from the server called Ephinea.... (a pso server)
where you could make a unique account, to make your own gear, as of testing purpose.  They couldn't interact with normal players, other than talking.... (But i not sure if this idea could Ever happen here, because it's something hard to code i would believe)

To reply to the post above this one, I'll hit on some points

Mother brain's loot:

The issue with Mother Brain's loot is even if the stuff is "decent", there is nothing insanely good that we'd go for. Hell mother brain doesn't even have a special drop similar to Photon Booster, Demonflame, etc.

Nah, this one is bad :(
If the board is untradable, why should the weapon become tradable?

This was poorly worded, what I meant was that the weapon itself wouldn't be account bound due to using an account bound material. So the Weapon and Board would be tradable while the X Material required to make it would not be tradable.

If powerful weapons would be super common

Weapons wouldn't be common just cause they don't drop from Rare Enemies, but the issue is we can't restart maps until we get the Rare Map similar to official, and official JP late game had a lot of good weapons dropping from Rare Enemies. So we'd be stacking RNG ontop of even more RNG to get our desired weapons if that stayed the same. Just doesn't sound fun.