Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SUGGESTION: The Flinch Paradox

Dakkon

(For the lazy lads, "I won't go through that wall of text" version:

Make SINGLE Hanguns on levels 31~40 at least an UTILITY option for those Fortegunners and Guntechers that still like a classic Handgun despite having access to far superior left handed options as Crossbows or Machineguns, or just every single other gun at the disposal of the classes with access to level 31~40 Handguns: FG, GT and Protransers. Give handgun bullets the Rifle treatment and change their hit flag at levels 31~40 to apply blowdown)

Still with me? Are you sure that you don't want to run away screaming BALANCE doomsayer mode?

Sure?

Ok. Let's first sit back and analyze the time and circumstances that brought the dreaded or loved removal of flinch for mobile guns, going from guaranteed on every single hit to the sheldom flinch on the ocasional critical hit. For those who might ignore this, during past christmas event Subzero Outbreak, though I'm sure the change was being cooked and discussed way before that, light guns flinching was considered too disruptive for group play as it displaced enemies away hindering melee classes from approaching their targets or making techer classes miss their spells.

In the cirscumstances of that 'era'; a time without S rank missions and S rank speed doped enemies running for your throat, an event compossed of mainly Gohmon/Olgohmon enemies that don't even walk towards the player and every inch they are pushed back works in their favor, enforcing the feeling of frecuent flinching being punishing and cumbersome (it didn't help that the other common enemies were Goshin, which as a worm type have different rules and ignore flinching, and Tengohg, which fall back dramatically if flinched when they try to rise flight, seeming as annoying to some as a Grenade Launcher happily displacing enemies on a public game, so the world without flinching didn't seem that bad), and an active limited time player and PA exp. boost, aggravating the "I want to level up this PA" and "Their flinching isn't allowing me to touch enemies with this PA that I want to level up", with almost the whole server concentrated on the same lobby making a perfect seasonal social excuse to hang out and easily full party with others, so the chances of finding an evil flincher in your six man parties were high. To quite some extent I can accept and see why the stream of bullets of a Machinegun or even the not so constant flow of hits of a pair of Twin Handguns pinning a target towards the edge of the map could be seen as an annoyance. If there was any debate I just missed it, after fixing some problems with the hit flags of all weapons in the game (for a time even Rifles and Longbows lost their flinch) the change was made and any protests soon died silent, some melee was affected too, positively on most cases, but the main changes were mobile guns: Machineguns, Crossbows, Cards, Twin Handguns, and Single Handguns.

Now, let's gauge the dent on the performance of these guns from the perspective of a gunner playing solo, just because it makes an scenario free of external help with enemies strictly focused on reaching the player, allowing us to value each gun on their own.

- Machineguns sport a respectable damage output with an almost high enough firerate as to proc some flinching and keep a charging enemy away from you, but if more than one is closing the gap with S rank mob speed you are just screwed. I would allow Machineguns at levels 31~40 to gain Flinch just as Rifles gain Blowdown, keeping intact their functionality at levels 1~30 for Fighunners that desire to weaken their targets without pressing them away while getting close for right hand melee.

- Crossbows not only are still an uncontested beast on gunning with their five bolts per shot, but even despite not needing to flinch due to melee range being their ideal range (and due to being a monster of a weapon too), ironically they are the best flinchers since their shotgun point blank mechanics make them force critical hits and with five hits they put excellent bullet density, which translates in almost constant flinching.

- Cards despite having excellent damage per shot they aren't very bright at keeping enemies at bay, they never were before even with guaranteed flinch, but the fact that cards are the best chasing gun for flyers and or dodgy enemies, with four darts per throw and high SE grants them a special spot due to their specialization.

- Twin Handguns have never been too good, though they have always remained popular, their flinching capability is even lower than that of Machineguns, but being the sole mobile option for Gunmasters and being so with 20% IAS and lvl 41~50 bullets changes the story, becoming more than usable.

- Single Handguns. Handguns. Oh good ol' handguns, this whole post is for poor single handguns if anyone saved any doubt. To be fair, Handguns have received a decent bunch of buffs in Clementine, but sadly, only geared towards Fortefighters (well, or any stuborn Acrofighter or Fighunner, but Fortefighters have no other option). In a Fortefigther view, the sole class nowadays to seriously contemplate the use of Handguns, Handguns were never this shiny: access to S rank handguns, access to lvl 21~30 SE3 bullets which is huge for FF, and on top of that, SE override, AND your enemies aren't getting annoyingly pushed back anymore while you pew pew them making it easy approaching them with your S rank claw and making the removal of flinch seem beneficial.

The problem? I was that weirdo (let's be honest, I doubt anyone can relate to this, so I was The weirdo) who liked to use single handgun on Fortegunner, despite having the option for the infamous Crossbows or the decimating Machinegun, I just liked the option, the feel, the fantasy of playing gunslinger, that high noon vibe of wrecking things with the focused hammer shots of a wrist shaker six-shots. BANG, and enemies were put to a stop. The feeling of impact, of solid contact, of force applied. I enjoyed it so much that I even played it bare right handed. That was untill handguns stopped stopping anyone. All gone without flinching. Now, returning to that solo gunner scenario above, you feel armed with a water gun, and even when dealing 1500 damage a pop, you'll be quickly overwhelmed by four lowly Badiras, BADIRAS, now unstoppable juggernauts that shrug off your thousands of damage and just keep cruising towards you unhindered faster than what you can backpedal while shooting, resorting to switching routes resulting on a ridiculous circling persecution that makes you look as someone trying to dispatch some food at a bunch of enthusiast and anxious jumping dogs dancing around you. You can't even stop the charge of a single Koltova or Distova if you aren't lucky with a well timed crit. You can't dream of outrunning a single Go Vahra before it jumps to your neck even though you only need to score seven shots for it to die. And we are talking basic PARUM natives, the easiest and simplest enemies on the whole game in S rank.

Despite the buffs, comparing single handguns to the rest of mobile guns they still fall short, Handguns don't have the fire rate of Machineguns or Twin Handguns so the lost of flinch was a bit unjustified and harsh on their case since they couln't flinch that often before the changes, nor do they have the potency of Crossbows or the reach and special capabilities of Cards, Handguns are just handguns, but they fail at that simple task if they cannot affect what they shoot, anyone remembers shooting in PSO? normal attack, strong attack, strong attack (or triple strong once you had ATA enough), keeping your enemies at bay controlled by your fire was essential.

As I said with Machineguns, in order to preserve the pace of meleers, only at levels 31~40, so only at the access of Fortegunner, Guntecher, and Protranser I would not only restore the flinch capabilities of single handguns, I would go beyond and actually make single Handguns become an interesting utility option by giving them the Rifle treatment gaining Blowdown at levels 31~40.

Now before you jump your hands at your heads in disbelief, absolutely sure that all things balanced would break apart, think about it for more than two seconds. I highly doubt any Gunmaster would drop their 20% IAS lvl 41~50 bullets and eagerly downgrade to Fortegunner only for lowly single Handguns no matter how flashy blowdown might seem, it is already present on Rifles, with far more damage, SE and elemental % weight, same reason for which I don't honestly see any Fortegunner forsaking their Rifles in order to squeeze the most of that shiny S rank availability in single Handguns while they still have access to A rank disguised monsters as Queen Viera & Axeon Cross for Xbow or Psycho Gun & Squirt Gun for MG. I don't see it, the same way I don't see any Guntechers throwing away their S rank arsenals of Crossbows and Mechguns in order to get a hold of those blowdown applying single handguns, nor would they or Protransers let go of the power of Longbows and their several K damage crits. What I would see, is SOME gunner palettes making room for a single handgun for UTILITY (ignoring the few Fortegunners who already do for healing with Mayalee), what I see is that seemingly broken single handgun with Blowdown for gunners becoming just an OPTION to compete and increase diversity. "Do I opt for the control but lowest damage of Handgun? Do I opt for the sheer damage but risks of Crossbow? Or do I opt for the mid ground of damage and distance that Machineguns offer?" Currently, in Fortegunners and Guntechers, single Handgun doesn't even exist as an option. Let's change that. Single sabers are a respectable option for fighters the same way that a lowly Wand is not lowly for anyone thanks to passive bonus to technic weapons depending on their weight (+20% rod, +10% wand, +0% TCSMs).

If a classic stuborn old ass like me wants to solo the world with a shitty handgun, let him be, it will hurt only his time. Let me enjoy that time playing pew pew pistol man again.

19 hours ago, Dakkon said:

Make SINGLE Hanguns on levels 31~40 at least an UTILITY option for those Fortegunners and Guntechers that still like a classic Handgun despite having access to far superior left handed options as Crossbows or Machineguns

Mayalee Hit is a thing.... pair it with Heaven Avenger, then you'll going to get a mid range (with auto aim) health syphon, that can hit two targets (can hit the same target twice)

Note: Worrks with Any handgun, but beam guns like Heaven Avenger is simply better. I personally use that very bullet with FM with a C rank pistol, and aim the neck.... And i can happily say. it's worth it! EVEN if the cap for FM is only lv 1! Aside of master and basic class, Anyone can use A rank pistols.

Sure.... GT will probs wont use it, but they can self heal. But GT Already have lots of love already ^_^

Now imagine... auto aim, health drain, flinch/knockdown, and low pp cost if FG

All i can say about this metter, if you play as GT, You can use handguns, because they're fun ^_^
If you're FG, then you deff should get one, it will save your life <3

Nice, two out of two of my sole guests didn't bother rreading my little tome, can't fault you, time is a coin of ever increasing value and I myself invited you to skip it lol, it is quite lenghty I know, but it is aimed for the devs, conversation is welcome of course, this is a forum after all, however I wouldn't pinpoint stuff on something that I refused to fully read just in case that point was already adressed:

On 7/23/2021 at 12:53 AM, Dakkon said:

SOME gunner palettes making room for a single handgun for UTILITY (ignoring the few Fortegunners who already do for healing with Mayalee)

No bad feelings @Fruzsina, I know your tone was friendly.

The fact that in order to portray a not so terrible scenario you must combine in your example both a PA frag bullet that breaks the rules of handgun bullets (healing aside Mayalee Hit acts as a Shotgun bullet capable of hitting multiple hitboxes) AND the only handgun in the whole category that breaks the rules of handguns (shooting from above raining from the ceiling ignoring terrain) speaks volumes about the state of the weapon type as a whole.

By the way this is far far away from a plea to buff Guntechers, even though they could benefit from this from the perspective of having more options, if you had read through how I talk about crossbows or longbows you would know I consider Guntechers have more than enough love already, and I didn't even touch on other aspects of the class nor I will, Class debate tends to be a waste of time because humans are humans and not many of us are willing to get our heads out of our own... well, you know where. No, this was a post to try and convince some dev in the shadows about painting a well contextualized, reasonable and feasible change that could or not could happen if they ever see it fit after giving it a deep thought or two.

13 hours ago, Dakkon said:

Nice, two out of two of my sole guests didn't bother rreading my little tome, can't fault you, time is a coin of ever increasing value and I myself invited you to skip it lol

I'll going to make this up by reading it later today ^_^

SOME gunner palettes making room for a single handgun for UTILITY (ignoring the few Fortegunners who already do for healing with Mayalee)

+

20 hours ago, Fruzsina said:

Now imagine... auto aim, health drain, flinch/knockdown

I know i'm being ignorant by bringing this up again, right after you said ignore that part. But it's still a handgun bullet.
That being said!

If the Mayalee hit would be out of this, or yet better. Only elemental bullets can apply the flinch/knockdown, then i'd say fine.
Penetrating Hit with that would be equally broken, due to the fact, that you can use pistols relative easy. You would be able to potentially stunlock an entire wave of monsters.  (this one only works on regular handguns, not on Heaven Avenger

No bad feelings @Fruzsina, I know your tone was friendly.

Thank you for understanding my concerns ❤️

(healing aside Mayalee Hit acts as a Shotgun bullet capable of hitting multiple hitboxes)

Only 2 hits, but still ^_^ Stunlock + ranged health steal is a bit broken (Even with one target)

AND the only handgun in the whole category that breaks the rules of handguns

Well yes, but... Other than basic, and masterclasses, can use it!

By the way this is far far away from a plea to buff Guntechers

To be honest with you, I had that feel, since you mention two other class. But the range of the PA once again gives a bad mouth to FG class. whom wouldn't gain love again.
I'd like you to invite in my post i made about: 

if you had read through how I talk about crossbows or longbows you would know I consider Guntechers have more than enough love already

Crossbow is broken, long bow in the right hand, can deal extreme damage. That's a fact ^_^
It's also a fact that Guntechy has too much love.

Class debate tends to be a waste of time

Yeah i know, but if an issue isn't addressed, then it wont get fixed. As we're here talk about this, is something. ^_^ May not the most critical need, but a practical thing prehaps?
Giving handguns some love isn't a bad thing, but don't fall on the other side of the horse ^_^

Well, yes, but you did not send this proposal directly to the developers, but published it here to find like-minded people, so it would be quite logical to express your thoughts in a more understandable and fun way.

16 minutes ago, SHOTGUN said:

Well, yes, but you did not send this proposal directly to the developers, but published it here to find like-minded people, so it would be quite logical to express your thoughts in a more understandable and fun way.

This is something what i can relate, before you would knock on doors of the devs, you would first want to know what's the general opinion. The mods can later check it, and if the community is accepting, then they we can consider share our toughts with the devs, also link what the community reacted to the opinion/idea/suggestion.

3 hours ago, SHOTGUN said:

but you did not send this proposal directly to the developers

I thought this was the official way or channel to do so and I accepted the public aspect of it, is there a different, more direct and discret private method to reach them for this kind of game concerns without harassing a poor busy soul on discord? one that doesn't expose them to a constant bombardment of "please add scythes! my anime kid is not anime enough", or "my Fighmaster clearly needs lasser cannons", or "add strafing to everything even without animations" or the best kind "please distort and deform the entire game so every class has a travel PA because I cannot stand a bit of walking while looking at my lolis butt or my ego cannot stand seeing how others whipe enemies before I can whipe them myself and show off my power"? (Okay, those examples ended up a bit more toxic than funny, but you get the idea, hope no one gets offended lol, I for one think travel PAs shouldn't exist altogether or their distance advantage should be nullified to zero gain)

Does an email adress for this kind of stuff exist? Seems a nightmare for the one in charge to check it, I guess the forum will have to suffice and meanwhile as @Fruzsina mentioned also act as a filter and test ground for others to opine and reinvigorate some much needed life to the forums.

4 hours ago, Fruzsina said:

Only elemental bullets can apply the flinch/knockdown, then i'd say fine.

That was my target from the beginning, PA frag ones should just gain Flinch at that 31~40 tier instead.

@Dakkon You're fine to post these things on the forum, generally it's better to do it here than on our discord where it can be sunk with relative ease. While I don't know if any of this stuff will come to pass (I keep my hands off balance these days), I did at least want to pass mention to some things in regards to:

On 7/22/2021 at 11:53 PM, Dakkon said:

the dreaded or loved removal of flinch for mobile guns, going from guaranteed on every single hit to the sheldom flinch on the ocasional critical hit.

Over the course of Clementines development, proper hit flags and enemy responses have been a fair bit of challenge. Up until recently there was one important hit flag that was missing, which people call "phase", aka "interrupt". This is the soft flinch that was present on things like guns, dam techs, and striking PA's in general, which interrupt the enemy but don't push them back out of range. It's the correct flag to replace what is the frustrating hard flinch, which makes combat feel somewhat awful for all, that's why it was removed in favor of no knock back. After next maintenance you can expect to see phase be active on guns, technics, and striking PA's, which brings it way closer to how the game officially did. I'm told from testing that it feels way better than things do right now, so I'd like to hear from you after that update whether it helps your concerns with guns or not. I hope it's another step in a chain of many to bring the game back to feeling like it always had.

Thanks! c:

Let's get back here as promised <3

during past christmas event Subzero Outbreak

I haven't used pistol at all that time, i were an AT. and so i've relay on buff, debuff, and my trusty whip ^_^

displaced enemies away hindering melee classes from approaching their targets or making techer classes miss their spells.

That issue i've noticed earlier in the test version from melee users, that when they toss away the targets, i just missed. But in your deffense, Techers can only miss, if their attack don't land on enemy so... It's something al right.

an event compossed of mainly Gohmon/Olgohmon enemies that don't even walk towards the player and every inch they are pushed back works in their favor

That issue i've found when i were soloing on the other hand, and i can totally relate to this!

Not to mention when their freeze worked, you couldn't do anything but wait for your death...

Luckily resist / freeze is a thing ^_^ However it wont stop their flinching. unless your stats/armor% is good enough.

Now, let's gauge the dent on the performance of these guns from the perspective of a gunner playing solo, just because it makes an scenario free of external help with enemies strictly focused on reaching the player, allowing us to value each gun on their own.

So i will rate everything you mention if  say i would solo. And how would it happen.

Machineguns

Before i read it trough

Machinegun

Pros:

• Fast
  • Can kill weak monsters without issues

Cons:

• Managing PP can be hard
  • Any monster with high armor, makes makes it bad due to the low attack base of the weapon.

a respectable damage output with an almost high enough firerate as to proc some flinching and keep a charging enemy away from you

Yeah but you can't counter attack with machine guns, which makes their at tack speed the only thing, to achieve this goal.

Note: If you're attacked, and you've blocked. You can quickly attack for a "timed attack" Which will cause flinch (unavailable for machineguns, for obvious reason)

I would allow Machineguns at levels 31~40 to gain Flinch

That would be a game breaking thing....  I often say the following thing. Who think that machinegun is awful.

Get ice bullet, be FG (which is one of your class you mention) PP save unit. (which is no longer needed with the current date, but if you have is n ot an issue) and enjoy the neverending supply of bullets.(that's occasionally freeze and flinch.

Crossbows

Only pros without cons :P

Crossbows not only are still an uncontested beast on gunning with their five bolts per shot, but even despite not needing to flinch due to melee range being their ideal range

The flinch will comes from crit,  which is an okay  thing, however crossbows are just broken...

ironically they are the best flinchers since their shotgun point blank mechanics make them force critical hits

This is just proves my point...

But only because this is a broken weapon, i wouldn 't out ballance this weapon

Cards

Once again, personal opinion

Pros

• Really good vs individual target
  • Fine SE rate
  • Special bullet can cause lowered TP/MST
  • "Short range homing missile"

Cons

• Cannon hit more than one target (unless the target walks in on the card)
  • That being said, no CC chanse
  • Slowest mobile ranged weapon

Reading your lines, we're on the same opinion ^_^

Twin Handguns

Pros

• First person aim
  • 2 bullets
  • Special bullet can lowers DFP
  • (Special gun can auto aim)

Cons

• Almost as slow as card weapons

but being the sole mobile option for Gunmasters

They're ideal for Gunmasters, but also for any melee class  with the dual pistol use (if they need some zalure like effect)

But other than that, it's not that baaad in my book, other than speed there's almost no mentionable cons i can say about them

Handguns

Note: I'll going to treat as a class that CAN use the heaven avenger, but not actually using it

Pros

• First person aim (like twin pistol)
  • Quickest ranged option (aside of machinegun)
  • Special bullet can drain health
  • (Special gun can auto aim)
  • Special bullet can pierce enemies (Same goes for twin pistol, but the flinch rule said specifically on handguns)

Cons

• Weakest damage AVG due to the fact, that shot only one bullet.
  • The one bullet makes CC almost impossible

To be fair, Handguns have received a decent bunch of buffs in Clementine, but sadly, only geared towards Fortefighters

Aside of slicers, handgun is their only ranged option. And they can use S, so....
A little love, right?

well, or any stuborn Acrofighter or Fighunner

and you :P

The problem? I was that weirdo (let's be honest, I doubt anyone can relate to this, so I was The weirdo) who liked to use single handgun on Fortegunner,

I mean.... If you know you can use a better weapon, and still use a bad weapon, it's not an out of ballance issue. More to the point, i like hands guns, not just the beamy thingy, I have that revolver thingy, altough i just keep it with myself, and don't really use in a serious party :3

I just liked the option, the feel, the fantasy of playing gunslinger

I love that too ^_^ which is why i fall in love with the class Acrofighter (despite the fact that i use it mainly for melee, i can still goof around with going out with my fun weapons.)

You can't even stop the charge of a single Koltova or Distova if you aren't lucky with a well timed crit

Sometimes we need to take damage, we can't and should be able to win every fight with a sole handgun ^_^* ( much as i would like to)

You can't dream of outrunning a single Go Vahra before it jumps to your neck

If he is alone (which i know, usually not) can be taken out with any damage, without taking any hit!

Here's the key, go by the side, and then try to "dash" behind him, and shoot him.

(By dash i mean like elegantly go behind him)

It will be epic ^_^

But i must say.. over time it feels a bit stale

comparing single handguns to the rest of mobile guns

My time to shine again :3

Handguns don't have the fire rate of Machineguns

But in certain situations, you can get in first person mode, and aim on targets, behind boxes, or other destroyable things.
(i know it makes the whole point aganst the mobility, i just compare guns)

But something for here.... Machineguns, need a few secound to be able to "recover" from "aim" again. Which isn't a thing for pistols.

or Twin Handguns

That's even slower to re-position with!

Crossbows

Crossbow is broken :P

special capabilities of Cards

Cards are not a vailable for forte gunner if i remember correctly...So in  this screen i wouldn't get into it, however, they're still slow, and can't CC since have only one target, but  rreally good freezeing PA ^_^ So.... i don't know... Classes that can use cards are in a good treat vs in dividual targets.

I would go beyond and actually make single Handguns become an interesting utility option by giving them the Rifle treatment gaining Blowdown at levels 31~40.

Sorry... i'm still not convinced, if it's just flinch, then sure (Strictly speaking on elemental bullets), but blowdown? That's too much

I highly doubt any Gunmaster would drop their 20% IAS lvl 41~50 bullets and eagerly downgrade to Fortegunner

Nope they wont, as they have the rifle treatment already :*D

the same way I don't see any Guntechers throwing away their S rank arsenals of Crossbows and Mechguns in order to get a hold of those blowdown applying single handguns

I think they would, let me tell you why...

So they can get closer, while shooting. And then debuff with a wand. (only possible in my look if the target is high level and/or cause them threat and/or have no armour vs that element (or they have the opposite element only))

Protransers let go of the power of Longbows and their several K damage crits.

Yeah but not every PT has the strongest bow in the game,  keep that in mind ^_^

Which then brings the GT thing, but in a different view

Blowdown > Ice Ex > Profit

ignoring the few Fortegunners who already do for healing with Mayalee

Not going to, if the system would apply that to that, but let's say if the elemental only would go... Since Killer shot is a thing ^_^

Currently, in Fortegunners and Guntechers, single Handgun doesn't even exist as an option

Because they can use better stuff, i think i can even find that part... hold on

I was that weirdo (let's be honest, I doubt anyone can relate to this, so I was The weirdo) who liked to use single handgun on Fortegunner, despite having the option

There we go

If a classic stuborn old ass like me wants to solo the world with a shitty handgun, let him be

But you know this is  the point where i going to agreed with you.... I mean... i don't want to take anyone's fun away... Just please restrict this in bounds of only for the elemental bullets.

So Mayalee hit? Major no no!
Penetration hit? A-aa

Elemental bullets? I see no harm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:

I'll going to support this, with the only thing, if it would only, and really only affect the elemental bullets. for 100% flinch
The blowdown didn't convinced me , even for elemental bullets... Sorry...