Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Development Post #6

Marmalade

H-H-Heeeey, sleepy man here, making a mild attempt to bring these back so that you know what we're thinking.

Sorry about the lack of content right now. As most of you might know, we're a bit tied right now and it's going to be slow until May. However, we have some things to share with you that should hopefully give you some insight in to where things currently stand, and what to expect. Here are some of the plans and ideas we have, which we hope to deliver to you in one of the larger updates, coming in May.

I'd like to preface this post by saying that, it's fairly obvious that Clementine isn't going to land on the same page as official was, due to differences and struggles to implement important systems. Because of that, a lot of us are pretty much accepting that Clementine is a private server, and it's a lot more unrealistic for us to try and achieve what is unachievable right now. So, as many private servers do, we want to have fun and experiment, so that you actually have something to play and do. For my own ambition in restoring PSU and preserving it as original as possible, well, that's just something I will do in my own time in the future.

Starting the Level 100 journey

• With Level 100 we will start working on incorporating the rest of the content so it can be available to you. We will still have to work around some of the issues present in Clementine, like broken exchange missions, so please bear with us.

• Master Classes will be available with Level 100. Their prerequisites are exactly the same as they were on Official PSU, so don't sweat it.

• S2 Mission Difficulty will also be available, along with appropriate drops and loot.

Catch-up for new Characters/Players

• We will be implementing a Dynamic EXP curve for low level characters and players. This is to help low level players catch up quickly, so they can enjoy PSU with everyone that is a higher level.

• Low level players will gain an additional +50% experience. This bonus will dynamically decrease as you level up toward the current cap, minus 15. This means that if the current cap was 100, then a Level 1 character would gain the highest boost of 150%, and the boost will end at level 85 where experience gain will return to the default of 100%.

Grinding 😩 the hottest debate

• It's likely to change, and while it won't appease everyone, most of us believe that it's for the better to remove the frustration that it brings. Sadly, PSU is old, and it doesn't fare well in the world of MMORPG's today, and this is something we've come to accept. Because the game is no longer behind a subscription service, there is no real need for a mechanic like this, so much as other challenging or enjoyable content. Because of this, we're planning to resolve some of these issues, while trying to keep the challenge and reward for effort motivation in tact.

• Grinding weapons will no longer result in your weapon reducing its maximum grind by 1 when breaking. It would instead return to its default of 0/10 (e.g If you are grinding a weapon from 6/10 and it breaks, it will return to 0/10 rather than 0/9).

• Along with the grinding change, we will also be adjusting the actual grinders themselves to be closer in success chance, instead of having large jumps between them. This change should allow all grinder qualities to be of use instead of only +9 or +10, and so that it also does not feel nearly as bad if you do not have high quality grinders to use.

• The overall chance to obtain a 10/10 will be slightly lowered as well. As it stands now, the maximum success chance to obtain a 10/10 S Rank weapon using Grinder S+10's all the way from 0 to 10 is ~4.64%. This will be slightly lowered to approximately 3.6~3.8% (final number is subject to change) to compensate for the fact that the maximum grind will no longer be reduced.

Prototype Weapon System

• For the moment, this is just an idea we've been rolling around, and we will need to experiment some more, but we would like to hear your feedback. Since PSU is fairly limited, it would be nice to add extra content that doesn't drastically tilt the game balance one way or another.

• This system would apply to all weapons (Striking, Ranged, Technic) and would allow weapons to have a chance to drop as a rare variant or prototype version of itself. These prototype versions would have 1 of 4-5 possible enhancements applied to the weapon.

• They would be indicated via a different naming convention where the first letter of each word in the weapons name would be used as an abbreviation, appended with the boost that the weapon has, along with a prototype code to distinguish it from the rest.
    For example, a Prototype variant of Guld & Milla with a No Variance attribute would be displayed as G&M-NV0E04 in game. They would also be displayed on the Wiki under each weapon as possible prototypes.

• Enhancements would be small, but it would add some variety and rarity into the game that isn't necessarily a requirement in order to play. Obviously there's a lot of ideas and ambitions going on here, and there is a lot to experiment with for now. This could all change in the future, or it might not happen at all, but your feedback and ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks! you're kinda cute 🧡

1 hour ago, Marmalade said:

Grinding weapons will no longer result in your weapon reducing its maximum grind by 1 when breaking. It would instead return to its default of 0/10 (e.g If you are grinding a weapon from 6/10 and it breaks, it will return to 0/10 rather than 0/9).

Hello dear Marm, 

i have a question , if we grind old weapons after the update, old weapons that can still be grinded x/1-9, probably turn back to 0/10 as well right?

Thumbs up, you and your staff are doing a great job, tyvm for all what you have done and are going to do! <3

edit: i also like the prototype part >:3c

best regards

Edited by Yuffie

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Yuffie said:

i have a question , if we grind old weapons after the update, old weapons that can still be grinded x/10, probably turn back to 0/10 as well right?

It will stay broken to the current max grind it has. If something is currently 8/9 and it breaks, it will go to 0/9 not 0/10.

Ew on the grind cap changing. I think the help on success is fine . Feel like it spits on the people who earn a 10/10 and means if you are rich then a 10/10 is guaranteed but hey, I appreciate all of your hard work.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Slade said:

ew on the grind cap changing. Feel like it spits on the people who earn a 10/10 but hey, I appreciate all of your hard work.

I absolutely appreciate how that feels but ultimately it doesn't change the fact you own 10/10s :D 

I think the grinding is a decent change. As of now I've got over 500 hrs on my account and barely enough grinders to attempt a 10/10. rather not have to do 2000 relics runs for 10+ pwands to still fail to get a 10/10. Lowering overall chances to get a 10/10...might be easier, but for ppl who don't have 20 hrs a day to play and actually do other things it's good. With such low odds of getting a 10/10 I might run out of grinders before that happens anyway. Nvm the fact that if u play melee getting a 10/10 high percent is a virtual impossibility currently. Now at least people like me have a chance. This last statement has always made the game heavily unfair to melee players as compared to gunners/techers in the first place, doubly so now that all guns n such have such high % values. 

If I had it my way, I'd just make grinders excessively expensive and/or hard to get, but guaranteed grind. Maybe require +1-10 for their respective grinds only. More like PSO - less common grinders but it works when you use it. That will never happen tho so I'll take the win. 

12 minutes ago, Miyoko said:

I hope not. I've yet to see a good proposed idea for Acromaster. They're kinda master classes on their own.

acromaster was an actual class for psp. it was exclusive. its centered around using twin sabers, twin daggers, twin claws and twin handguns. it was a pretty cool concept.

Hey Marm,

In all seriousness though. I think we should come up with a way to fix current broken weps if this is going to be the case (an item you can find or earn maybe? exchange?). Anyone who has a 6/6 P wand for example will NEVER be able to sell it after this update. No one is going to buy it or want to keep it now. all broken weapons are 100% worthless and I have a bots and pallets full of them. Everything I have is now trash other than my 10/10s and 0/10s. I wouldn't mind grinding to fix some of these weapons. After all of the weeks and weeks I have spent spamming relics to make all of my P wands just for me to do it all over again after this update is a bit frustrating. Some of these weapons are hell to make and im 100% fine grinding for everything and spamming missions 12+ hours a day. However, Its frustrating to know that a lot of what I have for sale or on my pallets is only going to be good for NPC or bot food or HEAVILY undercut on the market. I know its hard to please everyone but this is extremely annoying to know it was mostly in vain.

Update sounds pretty great, totally looking forward to it. Hopefully S2 brings us some more striking weaponry, specifically claws and daggers.

Adjusting grinders so that things below +10 are useful is a fantastic change.

Will master classes retain their 'can only equip S rank equipment' quirk from original PSU? According to the wiki, FM and MF can equip C rank handguns, which makes me wonder.

10 hours ago, Sophie said:

Nvm the fact that if u play melee getting a 10/10 high percent is a virtual impossibility currently. Now at least people like me have a chance. This last statement has always made the game heavily unfair to melee players as compared to gunners/techers in the first place, doubly so now that all guns n such have such high % values. 

As an Acrofighter, I need 7 sabers, 7 daggers, 7 claws, then a handgun + dual handguns and finally a massive pile of RCSMs (2-3 for each element). 23 weapons not counting the RCSMs, and that's without using slicers or any A rank weapons. And when one of these weapons drops it might be 30% and thus not even an upgrade over an existing weapon with a higher element% (and it's by the blessings of Clem that 30% is the minimum, which does make striking easier for people to get into). From looking around in lobby during events I get the feeling that most of the server plays techer or ranged, not surprising that striking is unpopular. And probably not surprising that all my S rank weapons are 0/10.

Don't get me wrong, I love striking but it's definitely the path of most resistance. Must be nice to be able to get 1 psycho wand and be able to throw technics of any element on it.

Hey Marm. The new forums look amazing!!

I really feel like the grinding change should appeal to most people. I think it has a great overall and thought out idea. However, the prototype weapons will definitely be needed to help maintain the value of weapons in the game. The market will not like the influx of a lot of base 0/10s. Prototype weapons is the solution to so many questions. 

I would just want to propose that maybe the boards for making grinders be higher? That way, a 7/10 weapon will be worth substantially more than a 0/10 because of the meseta or grinders put into the weapon.

I want to say 100k be the lowest and 250k being the highest for the S rank boards. Some A rank weapons are also on par with S rank weapons especially when it comes to whips with WarTecher. I am unfamiliar with the A rank grinder market and I am unsure about the pricing for those grinders as well. 

I hope to hear a response to my feedback.

-M

This is gonna sound odd but, can we get an option to turn off the EXP boost for lower levels when it launches? Something like a server command. I don't wanna rush to the higher levels, makes the rest of them seem pointless.

Sounds good. Don't really see any issues. Would maybe argue for the catch up system to be 100% instead of 50% or start higher and scale down at set levels (100% at 1-50, 75% at 51-65, 50% at 66-85, normal at 85-cap) something like that. Either way sounds fine.

Catch-up for new Characters/Players

I like this. It won't affect me directly as I've already capped my 4 characters during the Sub-Zero event, but I have seen a few new players around lately and I think it's a wonderful idea to give them an exp rate boost so they can join the higher rank missions sooner.

Grinding 😩 the hottest debate

I like this a lot.

Weapon grinding has always felt like a huge chore to me - it's costly, time-consuming, annoying and frustrating. And all of that was made worse by the fact that one moment of bad luck could permanently damage your weapon, without you as the player having any real way to mitigate that risk.

Game features involving risk are most fun when there's opportunity for counter-play. But failing that option, the ability to retry grinding your rare & prized weapon and still have a chance at making it the best it could be, despite the grinding NPC having mistreated it in the past, is much less frustrating than the existing 'the weapon you spent 300 hours farming for is now permanently damaged' model.

That said, I do feel that anyone who has a previously damaged weapon should have the option to 'reset' it from its current grind back to 0/10, otherwise it could make a lot of them feel like they're being punished for grinding their weapons too early in the game. As for how it could be implemented, maybe this could be a service offered at what used to be the GAS counter on Clyez Level 4?

Prototype Weapon System

This idea doesn't really do it for me.

PSU already has two existing versions of the described mechanics:

1. The GRM/Yohmei/Tenora variants of each weapon, which provide players with balanced, high sustainability, and high damage options; and
  2. The + system that was released later in AotI. True, not all weapons had + variants, and many of the ones that did still failed to become popular despite the boosts of the + variant, but the feature was there for certain unusual or iconic weapons which were released early in the game's life, and which could no longer compare well with generic or more common weapons.

I'm all for giving players more variety in weapon selection, but I don't think that the 'prototype weapon' system as described above really offers any more variety. At best it just offers the same variety with different names, and I expect players will keep making the same choices they already do - which is typically 'whatever does the best DPS'.

As a counter-suggestion, perhaps rather than making weapons that are fundamentally the same with slightly tweaked stats, perhaps a pair of systems could be implemented - one for melee specifically, and another as a general feature for everyone.

• For melee: The option to imbue weapons with the ability to inflict a non-damage SE. Ranged and tech damage already does this, and it would be neat to offer melee types the ability to shock, silence or confuse their targets in a similar way. Infliction chance % would probably have to be finely tuned for this to remain balanced.
  • For ranged, tech & melee weapons: New S-rank, + variants of every S-rank weapon and non-standard weapon of lower ranks, that doesn't already have one. This would allow higher level players to use gimmicky weapons such as Twin Fluor. Bulbs and Koltova Gun without feeling like they're letting everyone else down by using unnecessarily weak gear.

Yah your suggestions weigh more favorably towards melee. Striking weapons have high damage, that's their thing. Also it makes whips, which do this already, lose what makes them unique. Also some high rarity weapons do have SEs on them.

Edited by Hatsodoom

Something I would love to see looked at in clementine since this is the root you are going. Is to look in to Photon Arts like Deathbullet cause currently in your system with how you have Clementine built it is the only thing people are doing and using at the moment in your content. When you see Beast Fortegunners and Newmans all only spamming rifle shots it kind of is killing off any sort of Mele class in your game at the moment. Techers are still needed cause of buffs and heals especially with harquick they can keep up but any sort of fighter that isn't spamming the Hiken throwers and pistol is practically running around watching everything die before they can really touch anything. Cause the high frequency in which deathbullet is triggering in your verison of PSU is extremely high but that is because of the event Protecter K that we got to run for over a month with bounus PA exp which made leveling a very hard and time consuming PA to 40 like it was nothing. It wasn't common for the game. It wasn't built for lvl 80's to have a lvl 40 Deathbullet in S rank content at all. That is currently the problem I see in your game right now and why I don't touch it anymore. Also in your current content if you want to keep deathbullet that is fine it is your guys take on the game then help fighters out a little bit and do something with how frequently and common it is for everything to knock you around and interrupt fighting PAs cause it is a lot easier in PSU to stand 20 meters away and spam your X button or attack button and just watch things die before they even take 2 steps.

If this goes anywhere at all I believe you should also look at the high damage that Shotguns and Crossbows are putting out as well as I play on my gunner and have my shotgun shots to 20+ I can easily walk up and nail something for 2500 damage with one pull of the trigger with all five shots hitting the target. Yes there is a risk involved cause you have to get close but when a crossbow or shotgun are doing 1000+ damage with each trigger pull you can technically look over to any sort of fighter and just laugh as they struggle to do that with a entire PA 3 stage combo except on axes and swords. 

Edited by Bertality

Never heard of Deathbullet. Maybe you refer to killershot, which is a situationnal PA which works ONLY on robot and well on droid (and some magicians like Bal Soza) so the "is the only thing people are doing" cannot be, even at AMF since Zagenga outperfom KS on packed droids. Also, a lot leveled their KS to 21+ (which is enough iirc to have SE maxed) before kappa. You complain about something that doesn't exist.

For shotgun and overall ranger damage, try to play with good fighters : they don't have to be ashamed in comparison of good rangers.

Edited by Aelphasy

On 3/26/2021 at 7:20 PM, Marmalade said:

For my own ambition in restoring PSU and preserving it as original as possible, well, that's just something I will do in my own time in the future.

Can I be put on a mailing list or something for when/if this becomes a reality? I'm cool with playing Clementine in the meantime, but I'm much more interested in this side of the project.

1 minute ago, Eric007 said:

DUDE WHY IS THERE A MATIENCE IT JUST GOT UPDATED!

it's just a hot fix. A few things were not working right after the last update. It wont take long from what I am seeing.

Great changes upcoming. great decisions on that.

Will you implement former event unobtainable item into obtainable drop in the future outside of the solely season thematic items?

I think we should definitly need an active/automated playerlist connected to the server which indicates the population of each lobby.

Its really necessary I think to find games outside of the most spammed missions.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Depassage said:

Great changes upcoming. great decisions on that.

Will you implement former event unobtainable item into obtainable drop in the future outside of the solely season thematic items?

I think we should definitly need an active/automated playerlist connected to the server which indicates the population of each lobby.

Its really necessary I think to find games outside of the most spammed missions.

We will try to add previous event exclusive items into the drop pool in future boxes some time after the event has ended. Some items from the Subzero Outbreak event have already been added to the most recent update in some of the higher tier S rank missions.

A bot that we'll hopefully have connected to the discord or the forum will be worked on soon enough that should be able to provide this information, along with the most popular areas/missions where players are currently residing.