Lost private messaging ability on forums?

You can talk about anything Clementine related just here.
Nerva

Lost private messaging ability on forums?

Postby Nerva » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:44 am

I recently reported a spam PM I received to the admins here. Curious as to whether they'd been taken care of, I returned today to find my report closed by Marmalade, and my private messaging privileges revoked, with no explanation as to why. Attempting to access my private messages returns the message "You are not authorised to read private messages."

Apologies for making this public; I would contact the staff privately to get an explanation as to why this has happened (whether it's a simple mistake or deliberate) and get a resolution, but as my private messaging privileges have apparently been revoked, I now lack the means to do so. This is currently my only option, unless there's one I'm not aware of.

Tony

Re: Lost private messaging ability on forums?

Postby Tony » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello, thanks for reaching out.

Following a series of reports off spam private messages, we made a change to our new user settings.
In order to access private messages, you will need to have pass "First Post Approval". Which means anyone who has not had their first post approved, cannot access private messaging.

This keeps spammers away, as we'll never approve a spam message's first post. Sorry to inconvenience you! Now that you've made your first approved post, you should be all set from here.

Do let us know if you're still having a problem.
"Explaining it is like trying to eat a bear trap... or something"

Nerva

Re: Lost private messaging ability on forums?

Postby Nerva » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks kindly for clearing that up. I was worried that my report might've been mistaken for a spam PM itself.

Maybe I overlooked it, and if I did I apologize, but if I may offer a suggestion, you may want to list that first-post-approval policy in your announcements somewhere. That way, those newly registering, or just newly involving themselves in the community, can quickly find out why their posts aren't appearing and why they have no access to PMs.

Return to “Discussion”