Custom Resolutions

You can talk about anything Clementine related just here.
Midori Hoshi

Re: Custom Resolutions

Postby Midori Hoshi » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Shade, thanks for taking the time to try to figure it out.

Here is a screenshot showing that it's possible to do it, with the only downside being a slightly stretched HUD. Unfortunately this no longer works on the live server for some reason. It doesn't let you log on. It does work on the rewrite server, which is awesome.
ミドリ★
Female Newman Masterforce

Midori Hoshi

Postby Midori Hoshi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:37 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rmybngkeg ... s.rar/file

It works now. Thanks to Rozalin and Marm for their help.

The only downside is the slightly stretched HUD. Is it possible to fix it, Shade?
ミドリ★

shade

Postby shade » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:58 pm

In absolute, we're on PC, anything can be done.

Like these *.exe are publics, I do make some public comments on them.

Firstly, what you're getting with it's 1280x540, which isn't exactly 21:9 (it's 64:27 ; not very important, but I wanted to correct this).

So, in each *.exe, there are 7 adresses that contain float value stored in 4 bytes that may refere to the "ratio thing" (for the window, the in-game rendering, etc...), for the 16:9, easily noticeable thanks to used value (0x398ee33f for 0x3fe38e39 - thanks to the endian tangle - which correspond to 1.7777778, 16:9).

For PsuIlluminusOff.exe, they're the following ones :
0x881ae
0x88e0d
0x458924
0x47080c
0x470c9c
0x4855d8
0x4855e8
0x4855f8

On the PsuIlluminusOff.exe, the 1280x720 resolution hasn't been modified, and all of the above mentioned value has been edited (every 0x398ee33f have been replaced by 0x26b41740 which correspond to 0x4017b426 or 64:27 in float) and, curiously, that do the trick (in fact, only the 3rd and the 6th values need to be edited - 0x458924 & 0x4855d8 - the 3rd one is for the window ratio and the 6th one is for the rendering ratio ; that's why I do with the custom res *.exe).

The "external rendering" is this :
A 1280x540 window, with a proper rendering, excepted for the UI, which is stretched.

But in fact, the "internal rendering" is this :
It can be gotten by taking a screenshot ingame. And because of this (well... that not the only reason...), I don't judge this solution satisfying.

When I tried to obtain this, I wanted to get a proper 21:9 rendering, and with a higher resolution compared to the 120x720 offered by the game. That why the 1st thing I always did was to modify the game resolution to 1680x720... And from the moment you modify the resolution, it break the maps, because of how the game places UI element.

And what about the online *.exe, which present more interest in my eyes ?
Well... I don't intend to criticize nastily what as been done here, but the solution used is pretty poor tbh.
Sorry to stay vague, but it's preferable.

So, in case of people haven't noticed it, the online *.exe is "compressed" (thet's why his size is only 2436kb where the offfline one, in reality lighter but uncompressed, is 5910kb).

So, the PSUC.exe has been opend with a hexadecimal editor without beeing "decompressed", 0x398ee33f value has been tracked down and, two miracles, only one result exist (at 0x3c3f4), and when you replace it by 0x26b41740, it also work, which is truly miraculous (by editing like this a compressed *.exe, you don't really know what you're editing).

Sadly, doing this breaks a checksum, and the edited exe can't be uncompressed to be analyzed.

What's sure, if you do this operation properly (uncompress the exe, change on the height values the two that need to be moddified and recompress the exe), you don't get the same value at 0x3c3f4.

And unfortunately, none of this is helpful to resolve the map issues at higher resolution.
ぐぇぐぇ。ぼよよん。

Midori Hoshi

Postby Midori Hoshi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:15 pm

I didn't fully understand all that. What's important to me is that I'm able to see more on the sides with this. Maybe it's not done properly or whatever, but it works. The minor stretching of the UI is a small con compared to the large pro of being able to see more. It's too bad we can't fix the HUD but I'll adjust to it in time.

Compare that to every other custom resolution here, where you have a small pro of slightly sharper graphics, but with the large con of breaking your maps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are seeing less than the normal 1280x720.

*edit*
On the subject of PSU's native screenshot capability, it's not a big deal if they end up squished into 16:9 aspect ratio. Just use image software to change the aspect ratio. This screenshot was taken by PSU and then edited with software to have a 21:9 aspect ratio.

This is how it looks with the normal 1280x720.

I drew red lines to show you the difference between them:
ミドリ★

shade

Postby shade » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Midori Hoshi wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are seeing less than the normal 1280x720.

By playing in higher resolution ? No, because the display ratio is constant (16:9)

720p :

1080p :

1440p :

2160p :

And as I undertsand you'd like to get a sort of better FoV, to don't have broken maps, etc...
You can't really compare 1280x720 & 1280x540 :
Badly animated gif (2 sec delay) 'cause I really didn't know how to compare these pictures : you're gaining in FOV by increasing the ratio but not by increasing the width, but by reducing the height. So, globally, you're getting a lower res.

1280x720 & 1680x720 would have been comparable :
(animated gif)

But the best solution to play in ultra-wide res, is to set up multiple (to not say three) monitors :
ぐぇぐぇ。ぼよよん。

shade

Postby shade » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks to the hard work of the talented Agrajag, today a 8 years old mystery comes to an end : maps are fixed when resolution is increased beyond native's ones. That doesn't mean everything is done/perfect (for example, the UI doesn't scale with the resolution, so playing in very high resolution will make things hard to be read/distinguished), but if you don't increase the height (that's what essentially matters) too much, the result is decent, in many cases largely better than what can offer default *.exe.

Now, you can enjoy "Phantasy Star Universe : Ambition of the Illuminus" in glorious perfect 1080p, in both offline and online modes (at this resolution, it's hard to notice differences on non-scalable elements between 720p and 1080p).

Players who have access to the test server will find in the next hours modded *.exe for this server in the dedicated section in the Clementine Discord Server (I'll see if it can be sticked there).

This time, because off the change was brought, every *.exe was checked three times. Well... Probably not all offline *.exe, but *.online, yes. They shouldn't suffer from any problem, but if it appears to be the case, feel free to report error here.

This time, I've compressed *.exe with the Windows 10 built-in archiver, so theoretically any Windows user should be able to extract file without a 3rd party program (though they're better).

Once again, big thanks to Agrajag, we hope you'll enjoy it.

And, but that's a more personal request, continue to show your support and interest in Clem' and D&H.
ぐぇぐぇ。ぼよよん。

Midori Hoshi

Postby Midori Hoshi » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:44 pm

Thank you to Agrajag and Shade!
ミドリ★

suou_t

Postby suou_t » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:11 pm

Good Job! ^_^

This is so wonderful