Custom Resolutions

You can talk about anything Clementine related just here.
Midori Hoshi

Re: Custom Resolutions

Postby Midori Hoshi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 pm

I finally got around to trying a custom resolution today because I saw this post with different versions of them listed, some of them with no mention of the minimap, so I was wondering if that meant it would work.

Nope. Turns out the minimap exists, but it's broken. Then I tried the normal map and that doesn't work at all. This is horrible. You should probably edit your post to mention that both normal and minimaps are broken so people don't waste their time thinking they are properly working resolutions. Both the regular map and minimap are useful for many different things, so playing without them is just handicapping myself. Having a higher resolution should improve the game, not make it worse.

And while we are on the subject, can someone please figure out how to do custom resolutions over 720p that actually work? I'd love to buy a new PC with an ultrawide monitor and play PSU at the monitor's native resolution.
ミドリ★
Female Newman Masterforce

shade

Postby shade » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 pm

I thought it was a known things, but ok, np, I've edited my post to add informations in regard to this.
But in fact, the normal map works. You "just" have to resize/move it.

Also, and I don't think I'm the only one to do this, but I/we try to fix this issue (well, as far I'm concerned, I haven't really done any research this year). I've made some discoveries, but not enought to totally fix the UI when you increase the resolution (especially the map things). It's really, really, complicated. But anyone who know how to use a dissassembler may try to fix it (and eventually discuss of all of this, probably on psumods which is, I think, a better place to work on this).
ぐぇぐぇ。ぼよよん。

Midori Hoshi

Postby Midori Hoshi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Thank you.

If the normal maps works, then it must have really been out of position because I actually did resize and move it a bit and didn't see anything. Either way, we shouldn't have to do that. It should open up already in the correct position.

I hear from a lot of people that it should be possible to properly fix the maps. I hope someone (or a group of people) decides to seriously try to fix it. I have no idea how to do it myself or else I'd help out.
ミドリ★

suou_t

Postby suou_t » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:23 pm

A new patch has appeared, but will not exe be updated?
I saw it with a bit of editor but I did not understand it

shade

Postby shade » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:25 pm

I've fixed all "online" *.exe.
The minimap issue not being fixed, there's still two versions of *.exe : one with broken minimap, the other without it.
So, the PsuIlluminusOff.exe are unchanged since the last time.
I've added a 2560x1080 version of PsuIlluminusOff.exe (I don't know why it wasn't made the last time).
I've changed the archive format from *.7z to *.zip (I thought it'd be less complicated to users 'cause windows natively supports *.zip format, although the compression ratio is worse than what can be gotten with 7z).

I've only tried to play in 1920x1080 without the minimap.
Though it shouldn't happen, other *.exe versions may work incorrectly. If it does happen, simply repport it here, I'll fix it.

Edit :
1600x900 without minimap tested and functional too.
ぐぇぐぇ。ぼよよん。

suou_t

Postby suou_t » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 am

I used an exe with a resolution of 1600 x 900, but neither exe is working without problems:)

shade

Postby shade » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Hum ? I'm not sure to understand.
You mean these *.exe work or don't work ?

'cause I've tried the 1600x900 ones (with and without the minimap, by using the Clem' launcher...), and on my computer, they work.

However, I've noticed that *.zip archives can't be decompressed by using the tool included in Windows (the reason why I've changed the archive format :lol: ). People still have to use an external program to uncompress these archives (WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, etc...)
I'll fix that the next time I've to upload new *.exe (I won't only fix this single minor thing).

Edit :
If the window open and close immediately, be sure to have applied the last patch :
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=20648#p20648
ぐぇぐぇ。ぼよよん。

suou_t

Postby suou_t » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:06 pm

I'm sorry, my reply has not been correctly translated x_x
I wrote that neither exe had any problem

This is a terrible google translation....

Midori Hoshi

Postby Midori Hoshi » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Shade, can you please make one that's 21:9 720p? It should be possible to do ultrawide 720 and not break the maps. If you can prevent the HUD from being stretched, that'd be perfect, but even with a slightly stretched HUD, it would likely be the best resolution for PSU. Thanks.
ミドリ★

shade

Postby shade » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:47 pm

I can make a 1680x720 *.exe, but not without breaking the (mini)map.

The reason is when I change the resolution (and the display and/or the window ratio), it doesn't affect the UI.

So, change the res. to 1680x720 without changing the window ratio (and keeping it at 16:9) is a total non-sense, and mess :
I had to take a screenshot of my whole screen, 'cause taking an in-game screen generate a screenshot with the good resolution (but bad ratio, of course) :
I can correct the rendering of the screenshoot by correcting the display ratio, but the window will still be the same, and somewhat broken.

If I change the game res and the window ratio without changing the display ratio, here's what I get :
A proper 1680x720 game window but a stretched game display (exactly like the previous ingame screenshot)

And, of course, if I modify all three parameters correctly :
ImageImage

But the maps are broken.

Why ?
1. Because the UI doesn't scale to the game res (you can play in 640x480 or 1280x720, each UI element keeps the same size, which start to be problematic in 4k, maybe even in 1440p, because it become tiny)
2. Because of how UI and map are placed :
The map window is always set @145,125 px, when the map is centred.

Of course, it should be possible to correct the map position. I mean, if you choose to play in 4:3, the game let you play in 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x690. If you'd keep the same "map position" for all four res., it'd work for one but be broken for the other one. But no, for each res., maps are correctly displayed/positionned despite the fact the UI don't scale and keep the same position :

Image Image
640x480

Image Image
800x600

Image Image
1024x768

Image Image
1280x690

But currently, I haven't found anything relevant to fix broken maps.
ぐぇぐぇ。ぼよよん。

Return to “Discussion”