What Controller/Controls Do You Use For PSU?

Talk about anything relating to Phantasy Star Universe just here!
Midori Hoshi

What Controller/Controls Do You Use For PSU?

Postby Midori Hoshi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:51 pm

Controls are very important to me. In addition to player skill/knowledge and your character's equipment/stats, controls play a big part in how well you do in PSU. I created this topic so everyone can share info about their controller/controls they use for PSU in the hope that we could learn something from each other. Plus I really wanted to show off my new controller (^_^);

Photos of controller:
Spoiler:

I use an Xbox One S controller because it's a high quality controller with lots of buttons and the d-pad position lets you navigate menus at the same time you are running around during missions (the PlayStation d-pad position isn't ideal for games like PSU in my opinion). This one is from Microsoft's newly updated Design Lab. Of course I would go with an all green controller.

Link to Xbox Design Lab:
https://xboxdesignlab.xbox.com/en-us/?rtc=1

I added a Foamy Lizard AceShot Thumb Grip to the left analog stick to make it feel softer because pushing up on the stick for hours can start to feel uncomfortable. I wanted to put one on the right stick too but it would make it too bulky and end up getting in the way when I use the A button. Again, of course I went with a green colored one.

Link to Foamy Lizard AceShot Thumb Grip:
https://www.amazon.com/AceShot-Lizard-S ... 419&sr=8-8

For the actual controls, I spent a lot of time and worked really hard to set them up as good as I could. I figured out a way to trick PSU into not configuring most of the controls by editing the hidden ini file, which allowed me to do them better with JoyToKey. I won't go into too much detail since I already made a topic on it. Hopefully someday in the future, we can have server commands for consumable items so we don't have to use the clunky item palette.

Link to my Control topic:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2267
ミドリ★
Female Newman Masterforce

Noblewine

Re: What Controller/Controls Do You Use For PSU?

Postby Noblewine » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:55 am

I have a madkats gamepad it works pretty well and simple to use.
"I hate 2016 and this current year..." -Noblewine

Discord: Noble_wine#8594

Jakoo56

Postby Jakoo56 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:13 am

Keyboard for da win! also flashy keys!

Jet

Postby Jet » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Xbone elite. The paddles make it easy to change weapons and use items on the move.

SpanishGamer911

Postby SpanishGamer911 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:35 am

Xbox 360 controller. :p
Graphic Designer

https://twitter.com/NYsFinestGFX

PSU Clem IGN: Yuki

Dualbird12

Postby Dualbird12 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:03 pm

PS4 controller. It was surprisingly simple to set up. Just plugged in the cable I use to charge it into the usb slot and that was it.

Darkante

Postby Darkante » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:29 am

Got a custom Xbox One controller from https://thecontrollershop.com/

Made a pretty neat purple darkish combo with octagon patterns that leans toward pinkish.
I made the back only dark purple.
Had them put a xbox blinking thing to be yellow, but it´s back to white now from some weeks ago when i accidently dropped it in a certain way..not too big deal though it still function as normal.

I made them change the sticks a bit to be more softer like rubber instead of plastic.
As well as changing the grip to Suregrip. Feels so good particulary when you play the FPS genre.
Also, put some white logos on the front.
One with a bear and another with a different user name, looks pretty slick.

Got it around at the end of last year.
A little pricy yeah, but mang the feel. :D
Didn´t bother with the extra buttons though.

Cylene

Postby Cylene » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:53 pm

I use an Xbox One controller that has halo stickers on it! It's USB since the older models don't have bluetooth, but it's still good. The D-pad's a bit stiff though, doesn't always work. My Xbox One S controller is being used by my roommate, since the computer it's being used with (my desktop) is a bit far from where they sit. It's a good setup for playing together and i'm happy with it.

As for controls, I tried Midori's setup for a bit but kept getting confused by certain things, so I eventually went back to default xbox ver. controls with JoyToKey's Turbo function on the attack buttons since that saves me a ton of finger pain from needless pressing, i'm really bad at timing the button presses haha.

Midori Hoshi

Postby Midori Hoshi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:12 pm

Cylene wrote:As for controls, I tried Midori's setup for a bit but kept getting confused by certain things, so I eventually went back to default xbox ver. controls with JoyToKey's Turbo function on the attack buttons since that saves me a ton of finger pain from needless pressing, i'm really bad at timing the button presses haha.

Is that delayed turbo? If you aren't sure what I'm asking, I'll explain. JoyToKey lets you set it up in a way where turbo won't actually start working unless you hold the button down long enough. So you can set your X and Y attack buttons to work normally for single presses, but also do turbo if you hold them down for something like 700 milliseconds. That way you can still do JA with striking weapons and JC with guns, because turbo would normally prevent those from working.
ミドリ★
Female Newman Masterforce

Return to “Let's talk!”